_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
An Avalanche of Alpine figures
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
That title may be deceiving, as I've got one NCO from The Body coming tomorrow- but then again, Krisztian Bodi did two of these Alpine figures...

Anyways, the big goal of this is to nail the leather jackets/trousers the SS tankers wore, but also just to have fun painting some A+ figures.

Right now, this is what we're dealing with:

I love how his face came out, but I'm almost sickened by how blotchy the light green on his Oak Leaf came out. That will not do.

That guy! Painting under the brim of the hat sucked, a lot, but I liked that head better than the other one. He's got a few strands of hair coming down his forehead, I've just got to paint those now.

These two, both with head wounds. I tried a technique I saw Calvin Tan used on the gentleman on the right, that is, using unusual colors in skin tones to help reflect the environment, tone, theme, etc. So I used Prussian blue in the shadows, and obviously it came out far too dark, which will be altered of course. Aside from that faux pas, I'm happy with the shadows/highlights, except that all my figures seem to look very well tanned in that lighting. I'm going to try somewhere else in the house to see if that changes anything.

Finally, this guy.

His face has been painted, but I haven't got a photo yet. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be Wittmann, so I'll paint him and use it as an excuse to build my Tiger I

And lastly, again contradicting the title, is this Hohenstaufen member. My first real attempt at Italian camo.

Sorry for such a blurry picture, that was just a happy snap before stopped painting. His Oak Leaf is painted differently than the NCO at the top of this post. I've never painted it the same way twice, still trying to find a good medium for it.

Lastly, any tips for painting black leather before I embark on that holiest of crusades? Anything helps haha

Thanks for looking! More to come.

-Conor
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 05:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That title may be deceiving, as I've got one NCO from The Body coming tomorrow- but then again, Krisztian Bodi did two of these Alpine figures...

Anyways, the big goal of this is to nail the leather jackets/trousers the SS tankers wore, but also just to have fun painting some A+ figures.

Right now, this is what we're dealing with:

I love how his face came out, but I'm almost sickened by how blotchy the light green on his Oak Leaf came out. That will not do.

That guy! Painting under the brim of the hat sucked, a lot, but I liked that head better than the other one. He's got a few strands of hair coming down his forehead, I've just got to paint those now.

These two, both with head wounds. I tried a technique I saw Calvin Tan used on the gentleman on the right, that is, using unusual colors in skin tones to help reflect the environment, tone, theme, etc. So I used Prussian blue in the shadows, and obviously it came out far too dark, which will be altered of course. Aside from that faux pas, I'm happy with the shadows/highlights, except that all my figures seem to look very well tanned in that lighting. I'm going to try somewhere else in the house to see if that changes anything.

Finally, this guy.

His face has been painted, but I haven't got a photo yet. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be Wittmann, so I'll paint him and use it as an excuse to build my Tiger I

And lastly, again contradicting the title, is this Hohenstaufen member. My first real attempt at Italian camo.

Sorry for such a blurry picture, that was just a happy snap before stopped painting. His Oak Leaf is painted differently than the NCO at the top of this post. I've never painted it the same way twice, still trying to find a good medium for it.

Lastly, any tips for painting black leather before I embark on that holiest of crusades? Anything helps haha

Thanks for looking! More to come.

-Conor

Hi Conor ,

i'm facing the same ordeal with my Alpine figures , then i found this on the net https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rcuniverse.com%2Fforum%2Frc-tanks-369%2F11422819-painting-guide-waffen-ss-uniforms.html&ei=yqyaVPfUC427aZ3jgegP&usg=AFQjCNEMzdrmizTShyulwHOX6v5enETj6g&sig2=gj3szpXz5Z2d1uLmF6090A . In here you can find also a way to paint the leather straps and belts. In reality each waffen ss uniform was different than the other , there were no similarities in camo patterns even not in colors. So don't worry to much about that.

Looking forward to see more...
Kurt
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:23 AM UTC
Thanks Kurt! Links did help.

Sorry for such a big gap between posts, between work and a trip to South Carolina, the bench hasn't been visited too often. But I've been stopping in here and there...

Did some work on the Oak Leaf coverall and trench coat of the officer, I think I could do better for the camo. The coat is still a WIP, that's just a base coat on him now. Also a new figure from the Body arrived on Christmas. Not sure if he's a smaller mold, or just sculpted to be shorter, but it's a nice variation. Switched out the kit's head for an Alpine one.

Looking forward to wearing out all the uniforms on these guys. My tentative goal is to gather them on and around a Jagdpanzer IV L70 (V). But that's a long ways off...

Thanks for looking!

-Conor
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC

I really like the oak leaf pattern on the officers uniform , it looks great to me. I had some troubles finding or better to paint the right size of the dots and spots on the uniforms. Those wss camo patterns are not easy to paint .

So well done sir !

Kurt
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC
Thanks Kurt, I know just as well as you that Oak Leaf can be a real pain hahah. I do love painting the SS camo patterns though, in spite of the amount of effort and planning that goes into it. I'm beginning to like the modulations on field grey as well now, especially since seeing that photo of the dozen different field grey tunics and the color variation between them all.

I'm still plugging away at these figures every now and then but I decided to focus on Crossfire. I've never really done figure conversions like that before so I feel like I owe it to myself to go through with it hahaha. Haven't forgotten about this thread though

-Conor
 _GOTOTOP