_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which Cent Mk 5/2 turret - LionMarc or ITA?
AndyMc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 09:30 PM UTC
I've been stalled for over a month while trying and repeatedly failing to scratch-build the mantlet cover for a Centurion 5/2. Enough is enough, its time for Plan B (or Plan AM to be precise).

The LionMarc Mk 5/2 replacement turret gets good reviews and I won't go wrong if I use this. Inside The Armour also have a replacement turret for Mk 5/2, but I can't find any information on how good is it. Anyone seen it/used it? Any suggestions on which I should buy? Do you think its a chicken and egg situation (no-one has blogged about the ITA turret, so no-one uses it then blogs about it) or is LionMarc better?

I'm focusing on the replacement turret route because as far as I know, the only AM mantlet cover that's correct for a Mk 5/2 is the AFV Club vinyl offering which doesn't fit according to everything I've read.

By the way, there are occasional questions about which versions of the Cent can be built kits ostensibly for another version. I'm using the AFV Club Shot Kal kit, with the Mk 5/2 instructions from 1999.co.jp. Everything you need for a Mk 5/2 or Mk 6 is in the kit. There are a few (literally only a few) parts that are found on a different sprue, but these are easy to track down (if anyone wants the blow by blow details, I'm happy to post them). You can't build a Mk 11 from the Shot Kal kit, the sprue that includes the parts for the bustle rack and IR searchlight is not included.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 09:43 PM UTC
As always, look closely at high res photos of the resin (if that's possible, or good photos anyway), compare. How's the craftmanship and fine detail? Then compare to photos of the real thing. Then make a decision.

This is my method now for buying resin kits and conversions, it's good to have reviews but everyone has got his own standards so this "visual" method works best for me. And I've seen conversions and kits praised to high heavens when a simple comparison with photos of the real tanks showed wrong placement of features, wrong geometry, crude or simplified details, etc...

After that you also have to take into account price, customer service (search forums for complaints), availability, fast or slow shipping.

Cheers,

Christophe
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 05:46 AM UTC
I used the LionMarc turret on my Cent, worth it as far as I'm concerned.

cheers
AndyMc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 07:14 PM UTC
Christoffe,

I agree with you, I've seen photos of resin parts or complete resin models where frankly, had they been styrene, they would have been hammered for their soft detail. I'm not sure there is total objectivity when it comes to resin.

I've only managed to find one set of photos of the ITA turret (four views). They are medium/high resolution, and the resin is quite light coloured, so detail does not pop out. I've certainly seen nothing wrong in these photos, but with what I can glean, I guess the jury is still out on the LionMarc vs ITA question.
AndyMc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 07:33 PM UTC
Richard,

Great job, and these pics certainly show that I won't go worong if I do choose the LionMarc turret. Maybe I should stop agonizing.

I really want to do mine in Bronze Green overall. I remember my excitement when I saw a convoy of Cents on transporters when I was young. But maybe I'm going to have to do another - yours does look good in camo.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard,

Great job, and these pics certainly show that I won't go worong if I do choose the LionMarc turret. Maybe I should stop agonizing.

I really want to do mine in Bronze Green overall. I remember my excitement when I saw a convoy of Cents on transporters when I was young. But maybe I'm going to have to do another - yours does look good in camo.

Thanks!

More pics..

Here is Terry Ashleys review,

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/lionmarc/lm33002.html

cheers
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 08:29 PM UTC
I can't speak for the ITA turret, but I used the Lion Marc on my build, and think it looks great.

_GOTOTOP