_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hetzer Interior Color
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC
Does anyone know what the interior color of a Hetzer is? All my panzerjager books I have show the interior of StuGs as red oxide primer on the lower surfaces and buff on the upper interior surfaces. I have no references for the little Hetzer interior and wonder if it should be done like the StuGs or if it should be all buff inside. Same deal with the engine compartment, should it be red oxide or buff?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:45 AM UTC
From what I have read, there isn't really a completely right or wrong way to paint the interiors of German tanks. Colour seemed to vary from vehicle to vehicle. I guess later in the war they stopped painting the interior all together and left it with the red oxide primer.

Nic
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 01:21 AM UTC
Interesting question Sabot. One that I pondered for quite some time. After doing some research on my favorite German Armor (38t Hetzer), and because of the time period of the production runs, it appears that the Hetzer had a buff interior. As the war progressed and supplies and time lessened, some Hetzers had red primer interiors. Therefor if you are doing an 38t Hetzer Early/Middle production, I would recommend a buff interior. For a Late Version I would go with either the Buff or Red primer or a combination of both. :-)
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
I agree with Tiger here...I've done some research on the Hetzer ans the buff interior was used as long as they had paint.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
Sabot,

The engine compartment would be red oxide for sure. As for interior, the above posts are correct. If I was a tanker, Id paint the interior buff, as it would bring more light in the compartment then the red oxide would. Just a thought of common sense
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi Rob,

Here HETZER Jagdpanzer 38 - Take a tour inside ! perhaps you can find what you are looking for.

Here AFV Interiors you have info about the interiors of several german vehicles but not the Hetzer.

Hope it helps.

_GOTOTOP