_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
the interview{not the movie}
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 04:08 AM UTC
This will be one of those setting on my bench for a while.The figures and V-100 were done a while ago.I thought for the younger members I would show how I do dio's from the start.In the end it will be a news crew interviewing a trooper with his team more interested in the females.
First was the styro base.

photo newbie001_zpsb8511b08.jpg
Next was to see how the end would work.  photo newbie002_zpsd38d44ff.jpg  photo newbie003_zps01827058.jpg  photo newbie005_zps31b9d54c.jpg photo newbie006_zps0d99320e.jpg
Painted the border black after filling the seems in the styro with Polly Filla. Next was a coat of Tamiya texture paint on the road and pathway.Then static grass.
 photo newbie008_zps74e2275b.jpg  photo newbie009_zpsd0780aa5.jpg

Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 04:34 AM UTC
Awesome work, so far! "Younger members"? I don't consider myself one of those, but I'm sure I can benefit from your build. Following.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 07:14 PM UTC
Great little story and nice execution!!

keep this up please.

Mark
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 08:42 PM UTC

Hi Tom,

interesting theme!! Sound concept! Congrats m8!!!

And I love your V-100...nice dark OD colour!!! And the figure sitting on top is super!!

I don't want to sound picky, but if you just allow me to remark.....there are some mould lines on the figures visible and the eyes of your figures are a little...unrealistic!

I can only repeat the advice.....look at photos showing people at the "right distance" and see what of the eye is actually visible.

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 08:49 PM UTC
Nice concept here and it's looking good.
Romain gives some good advice here.
J
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 11:01 PM UTC
Nice concept for the diorama. Also, nice idea showing the process of building the diorama. Other than what has been mentioned before, there is a problem with the GPMG you have on the back portion of the V100. Since this vehicle represents a US Military Police V100 (kudos on the dark OD color), if a secondary weapon was placed towards the read of the vehicle, it would be an M60 machine gun, not a GPMG. Change those out and that would make it more plausible.

Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
James
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice concept for the diorama. Also, nice idea showing the process of building the diorama. Other than what has been mentioned before, there is a problem with the GPMG you have on the back portion of the V100. Since this vehicle represents a US Military Police V100 (kudos on the dark OD color), if a secondary weapon was placed towards the read of the vehicle, it would be an M60 machine gun, not a GPMG. Change those out and that would make it more plausible.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
James

James, you are a genius and you have a great eye-sight!!

I didn't notice that!!!

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:53 AM UTC
First,James,I added that gun from pics I'd seen.Easily removed.
Romain,be more specific.I've pretty much lost sight in one eye and maybe missed something.
Didn't think you old pro's were going to bother with this,but always thankful for the comments.Hey Matt ,I'm sure your young at heart.Sent you a PM.

Tom
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Romain,be more specific.I've pretty much lost sight in one eye and maybe missed something.
Didn't think you old pro's were going to bother with this,but always thankful for the comments.

Tom

Hi Tom,

losing sight in one eye is a bad thing! The problems are just beginning! I know what I'm talking about, believe me!
It will take some time to adapt to the situation!

Now, as to the mould lines: over the magnifier function at Photobucket's it shows quite clearly:

figure sitting on top of V100 = (his) left leg, right in the middle and (his) right forearm underside!

one of the G.I.s standing on the left (M16 over his shoulder) shows a line along his neck and over the roll on his backpack

As to the eyes, you know about the "squinting rule" by Shep Paine, and we should not forget that Asians have a different shape of eyes anyway!

Moreover, if I may add...the soldier figs would greatly benefit from a little variety in colours. OD is hardly ever the same on 2 objects, let alone on all of them!

Being heavily engaged in my HUE project, I face the same situation!

And Tom, believe me...we only want to help you improve your work! No bad intentions!!

Cheers

Romain

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 11:07 PM UTC
Ola Tom

Nice work... Quite a busy diorama. I love the substory of the soldiers being more interested in the local girls. Also you did great work on the composition with the whole diorama being filled and in balance.
One thing that looks a bit off is the division between the high road where that vehicle stands and the lower area of the diorama where the interview is taking place. It looks a bit carved if you get what I mean. I personally would have made that transition between high and low a little more fluid

Other then that I'd say you are on to a good dio and I'm looking forward to the rest of the progress.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 05:51 AM UTC
All good comments.
Romain,how do use the Photobucket magnifier?You were totally right.Just looking at it I saw the what I missed.
Anyway I added a lot of field grass and foliage.Aquarium plants,still need paint.

Tom
 photo next001_zpsb298b8b8.jpg  photo next002_zps30c18b11.jpg  photo next003_zpsa266f343.jpg  photo intreviev001_zpsf2c02344.jpg  photo intreviev002_zpsc8184941.jpg  photo intreviev003_zps8bce9687.jpg  photo intreviev004_zps6a66d851.jpg  photo intreviev005_zps06242eca.jpg
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 06:44 AM UTC

Hi Tom,

it isn't Greenland...it is Vietnam, a tropical country...that is the message, right!

Well, message received!! Looks good...it is amazing what you can do with plastic aquarium plants!!!

And your unravelled hemp grass is looking good too!! The other gentlemen can (and should) examine the tufts and compare..!

Well done Sir, well done indeed!

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP