_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Black and White Technique... for camo?
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 05:22 PM UTC
I finally got around to reading "Painting Guide for AFV" by Jose Luis Lopez Ruiz last night, and on the eve of painting several models I have in the queue.

I love his idea of the black and white technique (for any model: prime in gray, build up black and white shading, mist the final color over the top at the end). I'm going to try it on the Panzer Gray model in the queue.

But how does this technique work for camo patterns?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 12:17 PM UTC
Hi Jake,

As you can easily imagine this will not work very well with a multi-color camo scheme due to the several layers of colors that you'll have to apply.

At the same time, this technique is mainly aimed at breaking up a single color model's monotony. When working with camos, this technique is mostly replaced by other ones like the lightening/darkening of certain areas which is done after the camo is on. Basically, you'll be applying slightly lightened/darkened versions of the base color, in thin layers, selectively. Look it up on Youtube, as a video speaks 1000 words

Cheers,
Cristian
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 01:19 PM UTC
Hi Jake,

I have seen one of my friends use this method on cammo with some success. The key is not to apply one cammo colour on top of the other, but to carefully mask off each area and paint the applicable cammo colours directly onto the black and white shaded base, Otherwise you will of course loose the effect with too many layers applied on top of the shading.

Please note that I do not speak from any personal experience with this method.

Lots of work and probably much easier to do it the with post-shading instead, as acristian suggests.

The main "drawback" of the black and white method is that all chipping has to be applied afterwards, i.e. the hairspray method is for obvious reasons not possible (unless you want black and white chipping :-) ), but there are of course other methods to apply chipping.

Cheers,
sven
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 07:16 PM UTC
It works exactly the same, one color or three. As mentioned, you just apply each color directly over the B&W primer.

In fact, Jose himself has recently done an Italian P-40 and an M 36 in camouflage over the B&W technique just to show this.

varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi,
As other have pointed out, the trick is painting each color of the camo independently so you do not cover twice the B&W base.

Here you have another nice example from the author himself

_GOTOTOP