_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya "nato green"
Chris83
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 09:21 PM UTC
so i'm unable to afford an airbrush at this point so i rely on spray cans for my modelling...problem is i bought tamiyas nato green in both spry and regular bottle and they are very different shades...the spray is MUCH darker then the brush bottle and that's after i used TWO different cans thinking it was a problem with the first one...anyone else have this problem???
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 09:37 PM UTC
There will always be a shade of difference, between brushed and sprayed paints. I think Vallejo is the slightest difference. You can always mix one, with another color, to achieve the same depth.
Removed by original poster on 01/05/15 - 16:53:33 (GMT).
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 09:53 PM UTC
From experience I can tell you that is going to be the case with basically all the tamiya sprays. I have used their spray line for all four of my models, and it's the same result everytime. The best way to counteract this is to spray in mist coats(light, far away, wait a little for it to dry in between coats). Even so, there's only so much you can do, and even with light spraying the cans always are significantly darker. Nato Green has one of the worst issues if I recall, it'll turn out something like this.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:34 PM UTC
I don't know your financial situation, but I purchased an Iwata Neo airbrush off of eBay for right around $50 new! I have no complaints. It's easy to use and clean. I get pretty good results from it too! Worth looking into'
Chris83
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
ok thanks guys...guess i have some masking to do then i was hoping to avoid some extra work by paint brushing a lot of the little details but guess not....happy modelling
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
I have noticed the the jars of Nato Green from Tamiya are now lighter than they used to be, I do not know if it is a change or a faulty batch. I have an old and a new jar and they look very different.
 _GOTOTOP