_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
75mm Howitzer and Crew
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:20 AM UTC
Darren Baker takes a look at the 75mm Pack Howitzer M1A1 (British Airborne Version) and Gun Crew from Bronco Models in 1/35th scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 03:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the review. I had a go at this when released by vision models. It's not a kit for beginners. I'm still hoping bronco will get around to releasing all their para figures separately.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

Do you know if the gun comes with a closed breech option. I built the original Vision Models offering and used the Resicast conversion for an airborne version but the only option with that kit was an open breech. I seem to remember I had to alter the axle width too but I'd have to check back.

Thanks

Al
philmmusic
Visit this Community
Solothurn, Switzerland
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 03:15 PM UTC
reasonable figure painting is a good point. that's really were I'm completely lost.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darren Baker takes a look at the 75mm Pack Howitzer M1A1 (British Airborne Version) and Gun Crew from Bronco Models in 1/35th scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Beautiful kit! One thing I'd like to know- Why is it that foreign versions of US-made equipment are many times released ahead of the actual US versions by the manufacturers?

Just a few examples: AFV CLUB's M24 Light-series kits and the British and Free French M3A3 Light kits, which preceded their US M5A1 Lights, (We had to wait for FIVE YEARS before AFV CLUB released the US M5A1 kits...) this new British para-version of our 75mm "Pack Howitzer", and the BRONCO M22 "Locust". In all fairness, the new RIICH 6-Pounder correctly preceded the US 57mm version, which is basically the same AT gun with just a few differences...

I really hate to be so anal all the time regarding US equipment in general, but in my opinion, it would seem more correct (and fair) to release the original US versions before the foreign versions. We fans of US equipment a lot of times wind up having to wait for months before we see our original home-grown versions...

I'd LOVE for BRONCO or some other fine model company to include or produce regular US Army, US Army Paratrooper, and US Marine figure kits for this new little jewel. A new 1/35 BRONCO or MINIART US Jeep towing the 75mm "Pack Howitzer" w/Crew kit would make a nice companion piece to the beautiful little BRONCO US Jeep w/37mm AT Gun kit. A crew for the BRONCO Jeep w/37mm AT Gun would seem to be in order as well...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:27 PM UTC
Bronco released a WWll US version of the M24 long before AFV released any of theirs. And as for the 75mm howitzer, the kit was originally released by Vision Models a few years ago, and was pictured in use by US Marines (but no figures included!).
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
The only argument for this I can put forward is that the Americans were sending the Commonwealth Forces equipment prior to their entry into WW2. Another suggestion would be that there is more US kits than Commonwealth options out there, a situation that is being addressed by Bronco Models for one with all the Airborne offerings.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:00 PM UTC
Breech Block?

Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd LOVE for BRONCO or some other fine model company to include or produce regular US Army, US Army Paratrooper, and US Marine figure kits for this new little jewel.

I sourced enough kneeling and crawling US Marine figs from Dragon to make a six-man crew for the 75mm. The same figs could be used for the 37mm AT. Dragon also has kneeling inf figs that can be modified for use with either gun.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bronco released a WWll US version of the M24 long before AFV released any of theirs. And as for the 75mm howitzer, the kit was originally released by Vision Models a few years ago, and was pictured in use by US Marines (but no figures included!).

Hi! Right! I have both kits, US WWII M24 with corrected turret, and TWO of the GREAT little VISION 75mm Pack Howitzer- OH! For want of 1/35 Gun Crews in action to go with the VISION or BRONCO howitzer kits- US Army, US Marines and of course, the British and Polish Paras!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you know off-hand how the AFV CLUB M24 stacks up against BRONCO's? Also a question for Darren- Has ARMORAMA done a comparo of the AFV CLUB M24 vs the BRONCO kit?
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Would you know off-hand how the AFV CLUB M24 stacks up against BRONCO's? Also a question for Darren- Has ARMORAMA done a comparo of the AFV CLUB M24 vs the BRONCO kit?

This should help..
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/229680

I'll take the Bronco Chaffee over the other manufacturers any day.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When I built my Bronco version, the AFV Club kit wasn't out yet. Given the choice today, I would buy the AFV Club kit. Bronco typically gives very good detail, but at the expense of extremely fiddly design choices that make building a basic model more difficult than it needs to be. Things like the suspension attachment points, and the multi-piece engine deck. For a basic/intermediate modeler, those types of things can pull all the fun out of a build in a hurry.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'd LOVE for BRONCO or some other fine model company to include or produce regular US Army, US Army Paratrooper, and US Marine figure kits for this new little jewel.

I sourced enough kneeling and crawling US Marine figs from Dragon to make a six-man crew for the 75mm. The same figs could be used for the 37mm AT. Dragon also has kneeling inf figs that can be modified for use with either gun.

That's GREAT! I've been juggling that same kind of project around in my head for quite some time, but wouldn't it be so much easier for us to have service-specific figure kits of the same? Especially for our novice friends?

Also, I'd like to point out that the initial 75mm Pack Howitzer was built with different, lighter trailing arms and light wooden-spoked wheels. This little howitzer was to be broken-down and transported by pack mules and/or donkeys. I seem to remember a photo of one of these weapons being transported by a donkey or a mule, alongside some GI's in some very rough mountain terrain- US Army 10th Mountain Division, maybe..?

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

On Armorama the publisher is not a fan of comparison reviews, but we have run comparison build features.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:13 PM UTC
Alan there are no changes to the base gun kit
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

reasonable figure painting is a good point. that's really were I'm completely lost.

Hi! If you're REALLY interested in developing you figure-painting skills, may I suggest this OUTSTANDING book to you?

OSPREY PUBLICATIONS BILL HORAN'S MILITARY MODELLING MASTERCLASS

This book is filled with information on modelling, converting, kit-bashing and sculpting model figures in all scales. Hundreds of photos will help to guide you through the many steps of painting your figures- for instance, I go through NINE steps, just in painting the faces of my figures. Various mediums are discussed in a very understandable and sometimes even humorous text. This is a very readable book; even if you don't model figures, you can still glean a LOT of great techniques i8n building and painting your models.

I also recommend the various OSPREY MODELLING books by Steve Zaloga and other EXTREMELY TALENTED modeller/authors. The MODELLING MASTERCLASS-series books are all useful whether you model aircraft, or AFVs.

Specifically for Panzer fans, I'd also like to suggest OSPREY MASTERCLASS MODELLING PANZERS by Tony Greenland. Even though there are some newer techniques that have come into use, Tony marches you through the basics, graduating into more advanced techniques, converting, kit-bashing and scratch-building. Painting and super-detailing are discussed, along with various weathering methods, which can even help you model military subjects other than panzers, specifically. As with Bill Horan's book, Tony Greenland's book is wonderfully readable, and a great reference book as well.

Hope this helps...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only argument for this I can put forward is that the Americans were sending the Commonwealth Forces equipment prior to their entry into WW2. Another suggestion would be that there is more US kits than Commonwealth options out there, a situation that is being addressed by Bronco Models for one with all the Airborne offerings.

Hi, Darren! I've brought the subject of the paucity of British/Commonwealth/ANZAC kits and figures in another thread- I HEARTILY AGREE that the market can use A LOT more of these subjects. I'd LOVE to see some kits of the Australian Sentinel Cruiser Tanks, AC I, II, and III. They didn't see action in WWII, but they DID provide much-needed training service.

Also, I believe that there are only TWO 1/35 WWII Commonwealth Infantry figure sets, which are done by DRAGON. A complete absence of Free-French, Polish, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Czech, Colonial Troops- South Africans, Indians, Sikhs, Sepoys and a myriad of other exiled men in British service also need to be represented. Yes, these troops were issued British uniforms, but many of these troops wore items that represented their own nations such as the Poles' square-topped "Csapka" caps, Dutch and Czech helmets, Indian turbans, etc. French Colonials are also very worthy of reproduction in 1/35.

What gives? These soldiers ALL served with distinction, discipline and bravery! WHY are they being ignored? I'm not questioning your opinions regarding the need for these subjects- I AM VERY MUCH IN AGREEMENT WITH YOU!!! I think that it's about time that all of those "Pointing SS Officers" had something to point at!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Darren! I've brought the subject of the paucity of British/Canadian/Commonwealth/ANZAC kits and figures in another thread- I HEARTILY AGREE that the market can use A LOT more of these subjects. I'd LOVE to see some kits of the Australian Sentinel Cruiser Tanks, AC I, II, and III. They didn't see action in WWII, but they DID provide much-needed training service.

Also, I believe that there are only TWO 1/35 WWII Commonwealth Infantry figure sets, which are done by DRAGON. RESICAST does a very nice but small range of British figures, but we need more of them and "in British Service" figures. A complete absence of Free-French, Polish, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Czech, Colonial Troops- South Africans, Indians, Sikhs, Sepoys and a myriad of other exiled men in British service also need to be represented. Yes, these troops were issued British uniforms, but many of these troops wore items that represented their own nations such as the Poles' square-topped "Csapka" caps, Dutch and Czech helmets, Indian turbans, etc. French Colonials are also very worthy of reproduction in 1/35.

What gives? These soldiers ALL served with distinction, discipline and bravery! WHY are they being ignored? I'm not questioning your opinions regarding the need for these subjects- I AM VERY MUCH IN AGREEMENT WITH YOU!!! I think that it's about time that all of those "Pointing SS Officers" had something to point at!!!

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, I believe that there are only TWO 1/35 WWII Commonwealth Infantry figure sets, which are done by DRAGON. A complete absence of Free-French, Polish, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Czech, Colonial Troops- South Africans, Indians, Sikhs, Sepoys and a myriad of other exiled men in British service also need to be represented. Yes, these troops were issued British uniforms, but many of these troops wore items that represented their own nations such as the Poles' square-topped "Csapka" caps, Dutch and Czech helmets, Indian turbans, etc. French Colonials are also very worthy of reproduction in 1/35.

To be fair to Dragon, there was a THIRD Commonwealth figure set - The Monte Cassino British infantry. This set included 4 optional bearded Sikh heads with turbans, and 4 Gurkah heads, as well as the basic 4 European heads. The Gurkah's also came with their Kukri knives. MB also has a set of mixed North African types among which is included a (Free) French Foreign Legionaire, and a Senegalese (?) Colonial recruit. If you buy enough of the Monte Cassino sets you could have enough heads to outfit more Brit bodies as Sikhs, or Gurkahs.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:54 AM UTC
I think we are getting way here!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When I built my Bronco version, the AFV Club kit wasn't out yet. Given the choice today, I would buy the AFV Club kit. Bronco typically gives very good detail, but at the expense of extremely fiddly design choices that make building a basic model more difficult than it needs to be. Things like the suspension attachment points, and the multi-piece engine deck. For a basic/intermediate modeler, those types of things can pull all the fun out of a build in a hurry.

Hi, ALL! I had the pleasure (?) of building a heavily-modified TESTORS/ITALERI M24. With A LOT of work, I managed to do a passable example of the ITALERI kit.

All of a sudden, the FORMATIONS resin M24 Update/Conversion specifically designed for the ITALERI M24 hir the market. This was something that I couldn't pass up, so I bought another ITALERI kit, only because this was the ONLY 1/35 M24 on the market. The FORMATIONS M24 was a VERY LIMITED conversion, and it is currently out of production.

What is contained in this conversion is virtually an ENTIRE M24. You only wind up using the ITALERI M24 as a donor kit, using the bottom hull and a couple of other parts. Even "repacement" wheels and tires are included in this GREAT conversion! Rob Irvin certainly did an EXCELLENT JOB on this M24 conversion kit.

Aside of the conversion kit itself, I "only" needed to buy the following:

An interior kit- (I used the VERLINDEN M24 Interior and Engine Bay w/twin Cadillac engines kits.)

Photo-Etch- I used EDUARD, ROYAL MODELS and VOYAGER.

Tracks- I elected to use the FRIUL ATL-39 M24 Metal Cleat Tracks w/Sprockets and Rear Idler Wheels set, in lieu of the vinyl tracks supplied in the donor kit.

Armament- I used RB Metal Barrels for the Main Gun and .30 cal. MG's, and a DRAGON Gen 2 .50 cal., with a LION ROAR Barrel w/Cooling-sleeve and Carrying Handle, along with a nice resin Ammo Box from my extra parts "weapons" drawer.

Stowage- BLAST, VERLINDEN, and LEGEND.

Crew- I mixed-and-matched various figures to lend some variety to my M24. I like to do this every so often to avoid the "easily identifiable look" that comes when you use the same figure sets over and over. I used some bits and pieces from the DRAGON WWII US Tankers set, a WARRIORS US Tank Commander, (Casual pose, smoking and sitting on the rim of the Commander's Cupola, with one leg dangling inside the Turret. The other leg is bent at the knee, with his foot resting on the turret top.) Various WARRIORS US TANKER head sets, some of the EXCELLENT HORNET US TANKER Heads, and a VERLINDEN TANK DRIVER were all used to .

The model was painted in the standard US Olive Drab, for which I mixed TESTORS MODEL MASTER II Enamels FS34086 Green Drab- two parts, and FS34087 Olive Drab- 1 part. Everything was pre-shaded in a 2:1 mix of Flat Black and FS34086. I didn't use the MODEL MASTER ANA Olive Drabs because once dry, they seem to turn out to be a little bit too Gray-ish to my eye...

It was a challenging but rewarding effort. I also have another GREAT FORMATIONS conversion- A "reman" M4A1 75mm VVSS (Dry), for which I'll use one of my un-built DRAGON M4A1 (early) "Direct Vision" kits...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we are getting way here!

You're RIGHT, Biggles!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:40 PM UTC
PS- My error- I meant to type T41 tracks instead of T51 tracks...
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:37 PM UTC
Hope this gun isn't as hard to build as their 6 pounder.
 _GOTOTOP