_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Turd Polishing part 2: Dragon M103A2
accelr8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 156 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Brian,
This looks incredible. Are you bringing it to the meeting Saturday? Can't wait to see it in person.

George

I think so. it may be in primer or even paint by then!
accelr8
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC
Chugging to the finish line. Turret is mostly done; some small details to do, but i'm tackling the travel lock that i've been avoiding. Then some small details on the hull, and then wheels/tracks.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
The turret looks great Brian. Nice details with the foundry mark and cast numbers on the turret top.

The sculpted mantlet cover looks excellent.

Is that the Def Model searchlight?
accelr8
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is. I liked it better than the legend piece. The kit version is comically undersized.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit version is comically undersized.

I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!!!

Great job, man, great job. Can't wait to see it in paint.

Paul
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It is. I liked it better than the legend piece. The kit version is comically undersized.

Actually both Legend and DEF AN/VSS-1 searchlights are slightly oversized, but the kit one is certainly undersized. The best one, that best matches the measurements I have, is the one in the new AFV Club M60A1 kit.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:12 AM UTC
Amazing work!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing work!

Totally AGREE- GREAT WORK! Looking at all that's involved in creating an ACCURATE M103 kind of has me on the fence over whether I want to go out and get one of these...
accelr8
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually both Legend and DEF AN/VSS-1 searchlights are slightly oversized, but the kit one is certainly undersized. The best one, that best matches the measurements I have, is the one in the new AFV Club M60A1 kit.

Well of course it is, AFV Club used actual measurements. And when i get mine sometime this century (thanks for nothing luckymodel), I'll happily verify how awesome they look.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well of course it is, AFV Club used actual measurements. And when i get mine sometime this century (thanks for nothing luckymodel), I'll happily verify how awesome they look.

That's pretty rare from LUCKY MODEL. Usually they're pretty good with delivery times- You might have have run afoul of being caught between re-supplies... No, I am not a LUCKY MODEL employee...
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Amazing work!

Totally AGREE- GREAT WORK! Looking at all that's involved in creating an ACCURATE M103 kind of has me on the fence over whether I want to go out and get one of these...

Yea I don't know if I would have the same patience that Brian and Vodnik had on making this inaccurate thing accurate.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Amazing work!

Yea I don't know if I would have the same patience that Brian and Vodnik had on making this inaccurate thing accurate.

Yeah, I'm quite a bit in a quandary over this expensive blob of plastic, since I'm in the process of doing a 1/35 "Evolution of US Armor & Soft-skinned Vehicles, 1916 To the Present Day" collection. Maybe I'll just leave this one for last...

BTW, what would I need to do to convert the BLACK PLAGUE MBT-70 (Kpz.70) into a full-on US version? Is it even possible? Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Brian and everyone else! "Comically undersized" is actually a pretty kind assessment of that searchlight! BLACK PLAGUE should be ashamed of themselves; the two M103 kits, and both of the M6 kits, as well... Bad, just bad...
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The irregular form of the turret is modified accurately in shape........With Dragon’s know-how and technological skills applied to this subject, this M103A2 Heavy Tank continues with the high standards that the Black Label series has set.

Yeah, right.
accelr8
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC
Well I finally finished that pesky travel lock, and as you can see it's dramatically larger when built to proper scale. The 1/48 scale version the kit gives you is shown for comparison. I also finally finished those M88/M51 style drive sprockets. I'm debating whether to put the mud clearing holes in them since i've seen both versions and either is correct, contrary to what you might see others say out there on the ol' interwebs.

Some beauty shots before primer and paint go on.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 05:47 AM UTC
Brian,

Really stunning work on the rest of the details including the gun crutch. Looking at Hunnicutt's Firepower the M103A2 line drawing makes the gun crutch look small than yours.

I agree with you about the mud clearing holes. I was doing a double take seeing them with and without the holes.

Very inspiring work!
accelr8
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 08:19 AM UTC
I'm starting to question the accuracy of some or all of that hunnicut plan drawing. They got some details like the searchlight and travel lock very undersize, and the torsion bar positioning in that plan is also wrong. The lock I built looks large indeed, but it measures out almost perfectly to the measurements i took of the Ft Lewis display tank.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 11:04 AM UTC
Comparing to this image from Primeportal, your lock seems to be just slightly too tall in the lower section, but MUCH better than the pathetic kit version

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Comparing to this image from Primeportal, your lock seems to be just slightly too tall in the lower section, but MUCH better than the pathetic kit version

Judging from all the bad press that this kit has received, the best thing, IMO, would be for DRAGON to do some hard thinking about what is going on over at BLACK LABEL. The M103 kits, along with their other BLACK LABEL kits, need to be re-done, with a blank piece of paper, or more accurately, a new CAD re-design, and new molds. We all know THAT isn't going to happen, because DRAGON is MUCH MORE FOCUSED ON CREATING EVER-MORE-EXPENSIVE "IMPROVED" TIGER I KITS...
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 08:06 PM UTC
all I can say is wow !!!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We all know THAT isn't going to happen, because DRAGON is MUCH MORE FOCUSED ON CREATING EVER-MORE-EXPENSIVE "IMPROVED" TIGER I KITS...

Err I think you'd find 1/9 licensed superhero figures are a lot more important to Dragon than any kind of Tiger, considering how every properly researched new tooling they they've realeased recently has been something in the former area.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC
Any chance we can see the completed model...paint and all?
 _GOTOTOP