_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Which one is correct?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
I just started to build the DML Pz III Ausf J now, and I got the Judio Barrel for it. After open up the kit, I noticed that the Judio barrel is much longer than the kit one. So which one is of correct length?

And while I am at it, just exactly how long is the 5cm L/60 gun is, I multipy them together to get 3 M, is this correct? Since I don't have that many reference books, so any help will be great. Thank you all in advance for this.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
Be aware that when dealing with aluminum barrels, the same barrel for a Pz III M (or whichever tank) is made so it will fit the old Tamiya, new Tamiya, DML, Gunze Sanyo, etc. Each manufacturer's mantlet may be a different depth and the aluminum barrel must be able to be used on each of the manufacturer's kit, unless the barrel is made for a specific kit.

So, I would use the kit's barrel as a guide to see how far I had to push in the JR barrel. It may require drilling out the back side of the gun mantlet.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 10:53 AM UTC
Thanks Rob for your explain. The barrel I got comes along with rear sleeve for the tube, so All I need to do is cut the sleeve off the kit mantlet, and attach. It's at this point, I found that the JR tube is longer than the kit one. Based on my limited knowledge, the gun is of 60 caliber, so I did a rough calculation of 50 mm x 60 = 3000 mm, i.e. 3 meter, and the Judio barrel is approximately 8 cm, and time 35, that leaves 280 cm, and plus the part inside the turret, I think Judio one is more correct, right?

If I did the calculation wrong, would really like to know how to convert caliber to length of the tube. Thanks!
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
Yea, a conversion table would be pretty useful.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 04:45 PM UTC
Just read from a review in the Track Link, yes, the kit's barrel is too short. So please remember to get the Judio barrel for the Pz III Ausf J from DML if you want to build the 5 cm L/60 version.

So does anyone has a conversion table for the barrel length? I recall from previous reading that the barrel length should be the diameter times caliber. i.e. 5cm x 60...Is this correct?

Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP