_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
M10 Tank Destroyer
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 03:07 AM UTC
Academy has reworked the M10 tank destroyer. Here is an inbox look at the new parts and details.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 03:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the review. it's nice to see manufacturers attempting to fix the dimensions on their kits.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 05:38 AM UTC
Darren, thanks for getting this up so fast. Julian, thanks for the comment.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 09:34 AM UTC
The new hull looks good . Are you sure there's an engine in the kit ? I looked at all the photos posted in the review and didn't see it . Not a deal breaker on the kit but my idea of an engine replacement diorama might have to be rethunk .( is that a word ? )
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:08 AM UTC
I have the kit and I didn't see an engine in it.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:29 PM UTC
The powerplant for this tank is two GM inline 6 cylinder diesel bus engines, so it's missing TWO engines, carbs, air cleaners, radiators, etc..
The Academy M-10 kit came out many years before their M3 Lee, (which was the only kit with the too-tall bogie units, which MRC swapped with customers several years ago), so I have trouble thinking that sprues they got rid of years ago would reappear into a kit issued to make corrections!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Academy has reworked the M10 tank destroyer. Here is an inbox look at the new parts and details.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Hi, ALL! HOORAY!!!!! At least ACADEMY had the stones to improve their rendition of the M10 TD; the Upper and Lower Hull angles DID need re-working. From looking at the pics, I see that ACADEMY improved the angle of the rear UPPER HULL, which was one of my biggest peeves with the OLD ACADEMY M10.

The new .50 cal is WELCOME, although I will probably use my own "standard", instead, i.e, a DRAGON Gen 2 .50 cal, with an RB or Lion Roar Barrel w/Cooling Sleeve, and a new Handle, in case the ACADEMY .50 doesn't "measure-up".

I'll probably string DRAGON DS Tracks on this puppy, and replace the ACADEMY Sprockets with DRAGON Sprockets, if the kit-supplied Sprockets' teeth don't mesh with the DS Tracks. That I'll use a replacement metal 3-inch main gun barrel goes without saying...

YUP! Put me down for this one!!!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:21 PM UTC
I am sorry for my error. Don't know how I got that mixed up but there is no engine and fuel tank. It should have said transmission and driver's controls. Doing the back and forth comparison with my old M10 duckbill must have got me thinking about those parts. Thank you for all the comments and those who pointed out my error, and Matthew, thanks for the clarification.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
Thanks again, Darren!
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 02:19 AM UTC
Stupid question,

Is the photo's of the finished comparison model the earlier Academy kit? Just looks like a huge size difference
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stupid question,

Is the photo's of the finished comparison model the earlier Academy kit? Just looks like a huge size difference

The completed turret in the photo is Academy's original kit of a
late production "duckbill" M10 turret, with the elongated rear and longer counterweight. Academy's M10 kits from 2001 with the early and late turrets both suffered from turrets being too narrow. The new kit may have fixed that, for the early M10 version at least (though I haven't got one to measure yet). Academy has also revised the upper hull, which had dimensional and angle problems on the original kit.
 _GOTOTOP