_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Ak streaking effects
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:17 AM UTC
I just got some Ak interactive winter grime and rust effects, when using this should I have a matte, satin or gloss finish on my model? from my previous experience with washes, i learned not to attempt filters on matte finishes, so im wondering if there is an ideal finish to use with this product, thanks in advance
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:38 AM UTC
I applied mine straight on, no matte, satin or gloss coat used. Granted that was before I even knew about using those, but I got the same effects as it said I would. I had used Tamiya paints, then the AK effects onto those. Maybe it was the enamel on acrylics? Not sure. I do know though, that the AK effects will eat right through any enamel paint job (found that out the hard way too).

Just my experiences

-Conor
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:09 PM UTC
thanks for the quick reply, im still testing out the streaking on a large piece of styrene that I used gloss clear coat on, the problem i keep running into is that the ak grime doesnt want to sit still when its wet, im using a smaller brush, but the likes I put down keep spreading out, also im finding clumps of pigment in the straks even though i've shaken the bottle up pretty well, am I just putting it on too thick? also I noticed its winter streaking grime, if that changes anything
repynot
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:41 PM UTC
On their website thay have made excellent pdf's describing how to use their product.
http://www.ak-interactive.com/app/pdf/AK%20014%20WINTER%20STREAKING%20GRIME.pdf
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:46 PM UTC
Streaking effects should be done on a satin or flat finish only. You need to be able to paint a bit at the top with a pointed brush, then drag it down the surface with a flat brush. If you have a ball of paint at the top, you're using too much. You can always build up more later. The grime should be smooth and consistent throughout, you should not see any clumps. Shake it a lot more. If defective return to AK for replacement.
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:26 PM UTC
thanks for all the advice, I think the problem i was hitting is that the bottle needs to be shaken alot more, and I was using a gloss coat so all my streaking was wiping right off since there was nothing to cling to, im gonna try again in the morning and hope for an improvement
 _GOTOTOP