_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Korean War Question
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 04:03 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Has anyone come across a manufacturer who makes British 44 Pattern Webbing sets?

Also are there any suitable US army figures for the late period of the War ie with flack jackets/BP Vest?

Many thanks

Al

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
You may be out of luck with both Alan. I asked the same question when I was assembling parts for my Brit Para. No dice. The Korean War stuff? Fo-getta boutit!! As they say in Brooklyn.
That war is not called the forgotten war for nothing.
Maybe you can convert the Dragon set of later figs from around the time of Grenada or "Just Cause" in Panama. I just got a set and they all have flak vests. The vest didn't change much from Korea to Viet Nam and after.
J
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:56 PM UTC
One possible solution for M1951 Flak vest is the crew of Tamiya`s 4.2 in. mortar. BTW the mortar itself was introduced and used operationally in 1952 or 1953. Like said, no one ever disconvered the possibilites of the Korean War for modelling.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One possible solution for M1951 Flak vest is the crew of Tamiya`s 4.2 in. mortar. BTW the mortar itself was introduced and used operationally in 1952 or 1953. Like said, no one ever disconvered the possibilites of the Korean War for modelling.

Good idea!! I built that kit decades ago and forgot about it completely!
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi Hans and Jerry,

Thanks for the reply's. It's a transitional period for both the US and UK forces, a mix of the old and new. There are lots of good references on IWM for both British and Commonwealth and other UN forces.

Firestorm models have some kits and figures that could probably be converted/backdated and there are other bits of kit around and a mix of DML and Tamiya bits cold probably create the Brits. I'll check out the US figures.

It's an old idea re-awoken by viewing some old movies over the Christmas period; A Hill in Korea with a very young Michael Cane and Pork Chop Hill with Gregory Peck lol. A visit to IWM archive has also generated some thoughts.

Cheers

Al
Rogi01
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
This may or may not help but there is a Academy set in 1/35 called "Republic of Korea Tank Crew Figurines" I bought the set for one of my upcoming projects and was a bit sad to find that they resemble US tank crew (one even has a flack jacket if I recall). More US resemblance than a Korean

Either way just do a quick google search since it has been a while since I've touched the figures and worked on them. Even if no flack jacket is present, the figures are pretty thin that you could add a flack jacket with putty etc and it wouldn't look out of place.
 _GOTOTOP