_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbushing Tamiya Acrylics-PROBLEMS
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
My place is on the mountains around Rio de Janeiro

Its hot like hell (the hottest summer yet) and relative humidity is quite low (varies between 30 and 40%)

I'm using 1 part paint mixed with 3 parts iso-propyl alcohol. Pressure between 10 and 15 psi.

The result is a surface looking like a grainy sandpaper

I understand that the paint is almost dry before reaching the model surfaces.

I don't use the Tamiya X-20a because it is very hard to find here, and importing regulations makes it more difficult to purchase from other countries.

What kind of retardant or solvent can I use to improve my airbrush painting?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Flores
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC
That seems pretty high to me.I use about 60-40 paint to thinner or Iso
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My place is on the mountains around Rio de Janeiro

Its hot like hell (the hottest summer yet) and relative humidity is quite low (varies between 30 and 40%)

I'm using 1 part paint mixed with 3 parts iso-propyl alcohol. Pressure between 10 and 15 psi.

The result is a surface looking like a grainy sandpaper

I understand that the paint is almost dry before reaching the model surfaces.

I don't use the Tamiya X-20a because it is very hard to find here, and importing regulations makes it more difficult to purchase from other countries.

What kind of retardant or solvent can I use to improve my airbrush painting?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Flores

Hi Flores,

Move the airbrush closer, drop the pressure a little bit and find the distance ratio that works for you so the paint hits wet, then dries. Iso Alcohol dries so fast it makes the paint less flexible in this regards, so you need to fine tune your distance and pressure ratio. Maybe adjust your thinner ratio during your tests as well. Test spray, re-test, and re-test again until you can replicate the correct results. Then practice some more, and then spray your model.

Classic issue with airbrushing acrylics in general, not just Tamiya. You are spraying too far away and too high pressure and this makes the paint dry before it hits the surface.

However, there is a possible fix if your model is already painted and has this texture. It happened to me when I was using the CM technique because of the angle of airbrush and trying create the subtle gradations. Spray straight Lacquer thinner neat onto the pebbly paint surface. Spray enough so it is rather wet, not dripping wet, but glossy wet, it will look like a gloss coat. Let it dry, the lacquer thinner will dissolve those pebbles and level the surface back out. The paint will look a bit shinier than before, but it removes the majority of the error and lets you continue working on it.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 03:12 AM UTC
I've found long in the past,that Tamiya paints don't thin very well without Tamiya thinner.
Don't know they did it ,but as soon as I started using it I had no problems with an airbrush.

Tom
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 03:14 AM UTC
I'm in Egypt where it's very hot also... after having a lot of problems with my AB, I finally got it to work right. I'm getting great results spraying Tamiya paints thinned down 40/60 with alcohol mixed with some Windex and a couple of drops of paint retarder. It seems to work well for me

Hisham
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 03:52 AM UTC
You could try adding a few drops of water as a retarder.

Alternatively, you could move from straight isopropyl alcohol (IPA) as a reducer to a lacquer thinner or a mix of lacquer thinner and IPA.

(Note: Lacquer thinner - sometimes called cellulose thinner - NOT mineral spirits or white spirits.)

The lacquer thinner will likely dry somewhat slower than the alcohol, but it will work well with the Tamiya paints.

I use a mixture of about 3:2 lacquer thinner and Tamiya X-20A (which is, as you know, mostly just IPA), and the use that to thin my Tamiya paints. In my painting humidity and temperature, this has good spraying and drying properties.

HTH,
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 04:56 AM UTC
I had the same problem. I started using lacquer thinner, mixed 1:1. I reduced my psi to ~25 and hold the airbrush about 2.5"(6cm) from the model, using slow passes. The main problem I believe you have is using alcohol. If you can't get Tamiya thinner, try generic lacquer thinner.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 05:08 AM UTC
I thin my Tamiya paints with good old car windscreen wash. Works great for me and alot cheaper than thinners.

Pete
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 10:38 AM UTC
To all of you people above (Tojo72, rinaldi119, parrot (tom), Hisham, SdAufKla (Mike Roof), retiredyank (matt nethery), noddy927 (Peter Sutherland-Findler);

I'm greatful to the help you gave me based on your experience, that I'm sure will turn my acrylic's airbrushing into a pleasant part of this hobby.

Cheers,
Flores
 _GOTOTOP