_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Thinning acrylics w/ windshield wiper fluid?
AcornMan
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:09 PM UTC
In my newbie days, I used to thin acrylic paints with isopropyl alcohol, which caused problems because the alcohol evaporates so quickly. Then about twenty years ago someone recommended using windshield wiper fluid to thin acrylics because it contains a wetting agent that delays evaporation, and I've been doing that ever since. It seems to work fine, and it's dirt cheap, but I can't compare it to anything else because I never use actual acrylic thinners.

So I'm just curious... Does anyone else here use windshield wiper fluid? Any reason why I shouldn't?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
Water with a very small amount of dish liquid should do the same thing and be even cheaper. The dish fluid contains a "wetting" agent which really just means something that breaks down the water's molecular attraction and allows it to flow out smoothly instead of beading up.

Kodak used to make a darkroom product (what's a darkroom?) called "Photo-Flo" that did the same thing.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:08 AM UTC
The wetting agent is trace amounts of ammonia. Ammonia will etch brass, eventually. However, most recent airbrushes have steel tips. So, you shouldn't have any problems. I would recommend trying acrylic thinner, once; just to see the difference.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi David
Been using the same as you for a couple of years, and find it works great for me. Never had any issues and it is a damn sight cheaper than thinner and does the same job.
I have used household window cleaner too, but not the one that has vinegar in it.

Pete
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:19 AM UTC
I've used window cleaner, alcohol, water, and acrylic thinner without noticing a whole lot of difference in results. The one exception is that alcohol will create a dead flat finish with Tamiya paints so I like that combination for finshing my weathering. I had not thought about trying automotive washer fluid. I would have thought that would have additional ingredients aimed at preventing freezing that might intrefere with paint drying or adhering properly, but sounds like maybe it doesn't.

Something else to think about is that the window cleaner formulas contain ammonia, which will eat away Future. So if you use Future as a sealer you'll probably want to stay away from ammonia-based thinners.

wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:32 AM UTC
David

I know it's not as cheap, but I've achieved good results using Tamiya Lacquer thinner (bottle with the yellow cap).

Regards

Rob
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:32 AM UTC
My 2 cents...

I used to, like most of you, use windex as a thinner... until I read (and I can't find the source but it was an article from a guy at Badger, if my memory serves me well!) that the windshield washer fluid will separate the pigment and the carrier in the paint. It alters the composition of the paint itself.

I use the thinner from the manufacturer or water (in the case of Vallejo and others), tho a bit more expensive, I won't have nasty surprises.

It is a very, very good cleaner tho and dissolves, not just Future but acrylic paint as well! Now I use it for this purpose only!

Cheers,

Christian
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David

I know it's not as cheap, but I've achieved good results using Tamiya Lacquer thinner (bottle with the yellow cap).

Regards

Rob

I use that too, or Mr Levelling thinner with Gunze Aqueous paints. It gives a much smother finish.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:26 PM UTC
Be careful, with lacquer thinners. Some break down Tamiya acryls, completely. I've ruined a few batches of paint, this way. However, you said acrylics and I assume you mean true acrylics. Do not mix them with alcohol thinners. You will end up with a gooey mess.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:28 PM UTC
windscreen wash + Tamiya Acrylic = glass flat coverage.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:36 AM UTC
Windshield wiper fluid is all I've used for alcohol based acrylics for 20 years. I HAVE compared it to manufacturers thinners and it has the same ingredients and actually works better! It does not contain ammonia. At $1 a gallon, you can't beat it. It's one of those tricks that make you smile; you beat the system and still got superior results.

Don't confuse this with Windex glass cleaner. Windex is excellent for shooting through your airbrush to clean it out. It's alcohol and ammonia combination destroys alcohol based acrylic paints. It's important to shoot distilled water through your airbrush after the Windex, though, as Windex left in the airbrush will etch the brass innards and corrode the chrome.

Windex should not be used for thinning. It actually destroys the pigment in the paint and ruins the carrier. It IS great for stripping a ruined paint job, though.

But yes, thinning with windshield wiper fluid is a trick of the trade that everyone should try!
nakoomba
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 01:57 PM UTC
Can I ask you what is the exact brand and model of windshield washer fluid you are using. I tried some fluid and it flowed real nice but seamed to dry too quick. Would be great if I can match the exact stuff you are using and give it a try.

I think you said you bought it at walmart before, I want to make sure I get the right stuff.
Tarheel_Law
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My 2 cents...

I used to, like most of you, use windex as a thinner... until I read (and I can't find the source but it was an article from a guy at Badger, if my memory serves me well!) that the windshield washer fluid will separate the pigment and the carrier in the paint. It alters the composition of the paint itself.

I use the thinner from the manufacturer or water (in the case of Vallejo and others), tho a bit more expensive, I won't have nasty surprises.

It is a very, very good cleaner tho and dissolves, not just Future but acrylic paint as well! Now I use it for this purpose only!

Cheers,

Christian

I believe this due to personal experience. I wouldn't use windshield fluid.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I ask you what is the exact brand and model of windshield washer fluid you are using. I tried some fluid and it flowed real nice but seamed to dry too quick. Would be great if I can match the exact stuff you are using and give it a try.

I think you said you bought it at walmart before, I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Yes, it's "Super Tech windshield washing fluid" from WalMart. The cheap blue stuff.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My 2 cents...

Cheers,

Christian

I believe this due to personal experience. I wouldn't use windshield fluid.

Each to their own, I never had problems as others here too.

Pete
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Be careful, with lacquer thinners. Some break down Tamiya acryls, completely. I've ruined a few batches of paint, this way. However, you said acrylics and I assume you mean true acrylics. Do not mix them with alcohol thinners. You will end up with a gooey mess.

Tamiya's lacquer thinner is designed for use with their acrylic paints.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 01:03 PM UTC
Tamiya recommendsTamiya Lacquer thinner for a more durable finish. works great for me with additional Tamiya paint retarder. I generally follow Tamiya recommendations to avoid costly mistakes. https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/thinning-paints-606?category_id=8&type=article#.VNR03tX3-ix
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hiya David,

Im a recent convert to Windshield wiper fluid for thinning Acrylics and have really nice results. Recently sprayed some Vallejo Model Color thinned with it with great results. I dont use it in Tamiya However - i only use lacquer thinner for it.

Cheers,
Gary
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hiya David,

Im a recent convert to Windshield wiper fluid for thinning Acrylics and have really nice results. Recently sprayed some Vallejo Model Color thinned with it with great results. I dont use it in Tamiya However - i only use lacquer thinner for it.

Cheers,
Gary

yep, I have better results with Tamiya acrylic paint cut with Tam Lacquer thinner. The Tam acrylic thinner is not as durable but easier on he stink
 _GOTOTOP