_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Panzer Putty
ohiostate19
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hello, I found a lot of modelers using g"Panzer Putty" to make camo patterns on armor/jets. So i was wondering if anyone has worked with such product or if there is another brand that is better and easier to get ahold of. I had a tough time finding a place that sells panzer putty. Can it be reused after being sprayed over? does it leave any residues? easy to work with? Please let me know!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:15 AM UTC
I've not gotten my hands on any panzer putty yet, but I have used blue-tac to do the same thing with some success. I have found the stretchiness of the blue-tac can make it difficult to get small, precise contours. Not sure how panzer putty compares in that regard.

DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hello,

well, Panzerputty works. It does indeed. And it is reusable many times even with some paint on it. After long time you can fix it up with a drop of water and it will be brand new. You also can use it over photoetch and without the fear of any residue. But you should keep in mind that it slowly levels out which means that it will run off your model and goes entirely flat after some days. So complicated multiple-color camouflages or paint jobs with a lot of shades and lights need some planning or forethougt because you can`t let it on your model for weeks and than continue with the painting. On the other hand it is extremely soft and gets in every edge and covers every shape without any problems.

Apart from that I made some nice first experiments with it.

My first try with (too wide) handpainted black lines. On the other hand a very uncomplicated paint job with panzerputty.

Best Regards

Dennis
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:34 AM UTC
Mmmm - must give that a try. I have a tin of Panzer Putty sitting on my shelf which I have yet to use.

Regards

Rob
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:59 AM UTC
Shure, it works quite good. Although itīs not THE ultimate solution.
So far Iīve used it only on the quite complex Malta sceme:

Producing so many little squares takes quite a long time, esp. on such a tiny model. (a bit lager than my palm) As said before, Panzer Putty is solwly softening out, wich can be a bit annoying, but that proces isnīt too fast.. not really a real unless you want to spray more than an hour.

The clever bit about is, you can produce hard and soft edged pattern, depending on how you apply it. Unless youīre putting tons of paint on, there should be no noticeable rim around your masked area as it can happen with masiking fluids or tape.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:49 AM UTC
I'd like to try the Panzer Putty, but so far I don't find it on any of the websites from which I usually shop. Anyone know where to get it?

kowalski
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:27 AM UTC
Try Blast Models. That's where I got mine though a couple of years ago but they might not store it anymore.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:07 PM UTC
http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxsearchresults.php?SearchData=panzer+putty&x=0&y=0
 _GOTOTOP