_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Paints in the mail
ChrisLS
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:33 PM UTC
Not Snakes on a Plane, but Paints in the Mail

Important Update - Paint restrictions lifted!

Apparently, a successful petition has resulted in the restrictions on sending paint by mail have been largely removed.

Water-based paints, wood varnishes and enamels

The items must be securely closed and placed in a leak-proof liner, such as a sealed polythene bag, so that any inadvertent leakage is contained within the outer packaging. Surround with absorbent material such as newspaper and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from damage. Volume per item should not exceed 150ml. There is no restriction on the number of items than can be sent in each package. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Chris
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 08:37 PM UTC
Here in the USA you must provide at least half a dozens forms (in triplicate)on what the material is and answer/explain why on earth would you want to transport such a incendiary device such as paint to start with. Then the Postal Soccer Team gets involved as well wanting to pretty much copy the EPA standard to help be more efficient If this isn't enough for ya, then try answering the questions the Gestapo types at the Post Office will ask about your package: any perishables, light sensitive, breakable, explosive, burns on contact or as soon as you look at it, did you pack it by yourself or did get some Islamic bad boys to help, is it crushable, will pilots regret flying it, did your wife substitute nail polish for your paints, what will the paint be applied to, is it a spray or did you include brushes inside the box, etc. Sound good?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
V encouraging. I've always pondered on the effect on the fireball of an airliner crashing that my bottle of paint would have. I imagine it was just easier to say no than to lift the ban originally but maybe it was worth me signing that petition after all.
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:23 PM UTC
Personally, I reckon the fireball produced by my 15ml tin of paint would not be noticed in the much bigger fireball produced by all those 1 litre bottles of duty free.

But the one is welcomed and the other is forbidden!

Chris
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hi Chris

Maybe it's because airlines don't sell paint.....
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:00 PM UTC
I order Modelmaster acrylic direct from Testors or from Sprue Bros and never have any problems.
 _GOTOTOP