_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"Nicht Schiessen....Kamerad!"
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
Besides griping and making foolish comments I also find time to actually build! A nice pleasant bocage lane somewhere in Normandy (near Caen)

with a fiendishly placed PaK

But wait! They have been discovered!

Figures are a mix of Dragon British Infantry, Commonwealth Infantry, and Monte Cassino sets. Germans are the surrendering Georgians. PaK is also Dragon. Bicycle Tamiya. Odds and ends from Historex - Black Dog - Verlinden, etc.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:40 PM UTC
This is really well done, Biggles!! Lots of interesting details to see, and I'm especially impressed by your groundwork. The foliage, trees, moss on the wall, etc., all give it that "bocage" feel. Two queries; a) what did you use for the corrugated roof; and are the uniform insignias painted, decals, or what?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC
I'm happy you like it - judges at a local IPMS didn't! The corrugated material is thin aluminum product found in model RR supplies, and all the uniform insignias are by Archer. For uniforms, it's almost impossible to rub them on, so I carefully remove them from their backing with a scalple blade and glue them in place with a very small dab of diluted white glue.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC
I like it! Nice figure choices and interaction. Lots of nice details ... groundwork, moss, etc. I especially like the food and wine bench!

—mike
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC
And lunch is just waiting .
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC
All you can eat buffet! Farmer's cider, bread and cheese - and eggs probably burned in the frying pan! Almost forgot to give head credits! Heads are by Hornet and Warriors.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
Really has that bocage feel to it. I know how hard that is to pull off!
Nice little elements to the scene like the waiting lunch and rusty bike,etc.
J
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 05:24 AM UTC
I like this a lot. You created a great bit of Bocage.. Looking allright to me... Love the concealed PAK and the whole scene going on behind it. Great story. Good interaction between the figures And all the bits and bobs that make part of the scenery add a lot of live.

Great job.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 05:30 AM UTC
Biggles... You've been hiding your candle!

Really nice ground work. It has a good, overgrown feel and look to it. The mossy stone wall is particularly nice.

Thanks for sharing!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:34 PM UTC
Hi Biggles,

The other gentlemen above are right! Ths is a nice scene indeed! Your attention to detail is exemplary...the balance is correct, the vegetation is plentyful, the palette is perfectly consistent......and tlhe Tommies are certainly going to appreciate the nice lunch!

Great show Sir! Well done!!

Cheers

Romain

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:31 PM UTC
Glad you all like it! Now how about some real criticism?
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm happy you like it - judges at a local IPMS didn't! The corrugated material is thin aluminum product found in model RR supplies, and all the uniform insignias are by Archer. For uniforms, it's almost impossible to rub them on, so I carefully remove them from their backing with a scalple blade and glue them in place with a very small dab of diluted white glue.

Not sure why you do that when each set comes with a sheet of wet medium paper for just that purpose.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:30 PM UTC
Just my preferred method, and the decals are thinner that way.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just my preferred method, and the decals are thinner that way.

I do something similar (easier to align) but instead of using white glue, I just carefully burnish.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 10:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad you all like it! Now how about some real criticism?

If I had to point out something for improvement I would say some of the Germans look like they are a bit "dusty" or something. Too matte maybe? The flesh tone.
Also I see the common problem with figs in this scale hands not completely grasping the rifles etc?
It is good work and a great little scene. Maybe nobody wants to slam you right off by being overly critical?
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:14 AM UTC

Hi Biggles,

Jerry has used the word "dusty", and I think that nails the problem!

The figures would be coming out of a ruin that just crumbled, I would say they are perfect as they are covered in dust! Hair, skin, uniform and equipment all "the same".
But they are not in such a situation!

Moreover, the figures are not shaded/highlighted, which might be the reason why the judges were less clement.

Matt is just fine, and most of the guys here strugggle with sheen, but the skin has a different surface than wool, i.e. while dead matt is perfect for the cloth, it is less so for the faces.

Just my 5c worth of "serious" criticism..!

Cheers

Romain

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 04:44 AM UTC
Exactly!! I criticised myself for this. I read that it could be very dusty in dry weather in Normandy, so I used dust pigments - too liberally! And it also hid shading etc. on the figs- the shading is there but it's buried under a layer of dust. I tried brushing it off, but too much stayed. Now I'm much more selective in my use of pigments. Lesson learned!
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 05:42 AM UTC
Very Nice Diorama. I love the story, scene and a set up. the stone wall and moss is awesome. as well as the set up of lived in camp. Only thing I would mention is the tree seems a little off. looks like maybe too thick of foliage. and the foliage looks likes bushes you would see on the ground. Trees are hard though. It Still comes off has a nice tree however.

Well done all in all.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 05:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Only thing I would mention is the tree seems a little off. looks like maybe too thick of foliage. and the foliage looks likes bushes you would see on the ground. Trees are hard though. It Still comes off has a nice tree however.

To be honest, I don't see this as a tree! If you know the real bocage in Normandy. you'll agree that the hedges are that high, at least in many places (the plants, not the talus)!

Cheers

Romain

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Exactly!! I criticised myself for this. I read that it could be very dusty in dry weather in Normandy, so I used dust pigments - too liberally! And it also hid shading etc. on the figs- the shading is there but it's buried under a layer of dust. I tried brushing it off, but too much stayed. Now I'm much more selective in my use of pigments. Lesson learned!

I know exactly what happened to you....because I made a similar mistake some time ago!!

Pigments are a bit of a mixed blessing....just as most of the things we are using actually

Cheers

Romain

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:43 PM UTC
The actual bocage (with the wild rose bushes) is the side where the PaK is aiming through. The trees are along the side where a stone wall is, possibly separating fields or lining a small lane. Maybe "bocage" is a wrong description. How about "A farmer's field bounded by stone walls and heavy bushes"? The trees may look small because I didn't want to make 12" tall trees. They may have been more to scale, but wouldn't fit in a box for storage or transport.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To be honest, I don't see this as a tree! If you know the real bocage in Normandy. you'll agree that the hedges are that high, at least in many places (the plants, not the talus)!

Cheers

Romain

[/quote]

The really heavy and thick bocage country was in the US part of Normandy. Further to the east, in the British and Canadian zones, the land was more sheltered from Atlantic storms making heavy bocages unneccessary. I agree about the bocage - some extreme ones rise up like a wall on both sides, and the trees join overhead making a dim tunnel. My trees, which seem small, are pruned apple trees from which the farmer, who owns this field, makes the cider, which the German PaK crew were drinking (the brown bottles in the case). (I'm desperately trying to justify myself!)
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Romain

The really heavy and thick bocage country was in the US part of Normandy. Further to the east, in the British and Canadian zones, the land was more sheltered from Atlantic storms making heavy bocages unneccessary. I agree about the bocage - some extreme ones rise up like a wall on both sides, and the trees join overhead making a dim tunnel. [/quote]

less bocage in the british sector...OK, none at all, no way!!

I know the area quite well, and even if the region has changed a lot in the meantime, it still retains a lot of properties present in 44.

Cheers

Romain

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 08:21 PM UTC
Well, you may not consider this as "Bocage", but it looks like one, and there are British troops: http://www.rememberingscotlandatwar.org.uk/Accessible/Image/GetImage/360/-/d1a94807-3a3f-46b5-9c3a-0340657453db.jpg
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 08:24 PM UTC
Another similar: http://www.greenflash.org.uk/assets/jpegs/general/bocage.jpg
 _GOTOTOP