Meng AMX-30B2
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I'm going to do a build log of the latest AMX from Meng, the AMX-30B2. This build is for the "Hot Out of the Molds I" campaign. I will not comment on the accuracy (or lack of it!) of the kit as I am not an expert, but a casual model builder.

I built an AMX-30B2 (Heller kit + ADV conversion set) for a friend back in the 90's and after building it, I realized how bad both the kit and conversion set were, I refrained from building one for myself... until now, when I received my kit from Hobby-space.

Here we go...

I started by following the sequence laid out in the instruction and made the suspension. It took about 3 to 4 hours total.

The tracks will be time consuming, but I'm going to build them as I build the kit, in between steps, to cut on the boredom of making those! Be aware, too much cement and you won't be able to move them!

Some things on construction that I noticed:
- I had to remove the locator pins for the mufflers halves since they are not aligned with the holes.
- Part E1 = I removed the angled locating bar as it sits too high and stops the periscope from taking is proper place. If not removed, it will sit too low on the turret side/rear and will look weird. There will be a big gap behind it as well.

Cheers,

Christian
ahueger
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:05 AM UTC
looking good so far, I always had a soft spot for french armour keep it coming Christian!
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 03:58 AM UTC
As I have this kit in my stash too and I'm curious of your build. Hopefully you won't get a long some weird bits and misplacements.

Glad I bought the Aber barrel (main and coaxial (proper word?)) and some friuls for it, because I don't see me building those fragile plastic ones that came with the kit.

Looking forward to some more progress!

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 04:10 PM UTC
Very nice start Christian.

Olivier
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

One thing I forgot to mention. Parts A12 has a slot to locate it's position on the hull and it is too wide and too tall. It needs to be trimmed to fit the cut in the hull.

@Andreas: Same here, been wanting an AMX-30 in my collection for quite some time now.

@Hilbert: I certainly hope I'm not gonna get into too much trouble for this built. Can't really justify 50$ for the tracks... besides, I have too many models in my stash, I would go bankrupt if I added every detail sets that exists to each and every one of them! :-)

@Olivier: Merci mon cher! :-)
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:27 PM UTC
@Hilbert: On the AMX-30B2 kit Meng has strengened the track pins. Wider diameter and, IIRC, longer pins.

Thomas
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Hilbert: On the AMX-30B2 kit Meng has strengened the track pins. Wider diameter and, IIRC, longer pins.

Thomas

Are these tracks also suitable for the french AUF1 or are these tracks different from them? Because the AUF1 is also bases on the amx lower hull. I thought also that the tracks in the AUF1 kit are different then the AMX 30B2. Are these tracks interchangable?

Can't wait to start with mine.. But to bad. I have to much shelf Queens..

Hilbert
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
The AMX-30 family uses two different tracks. One is the older chevron pin track and a never DIEHL style live track. One may check his references before building. BTW the Meng kit includes two types of sprockets.
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They are quite strong actually. Once the glue has set, I have been unable to separate them from one another.

Cheers,

Christian
 _GOTOTOP