PMC SUV
spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:11 AM UTC
Just got the Takom Suv and want to make a PMC vehicle
I know they have a lot of internal armor but I can't find any reference material for this any pics or comments would be appreciated
stooga
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 12:42 PM UTC
Frank,

PSCs in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere have typically moved to a 'low profile' operating mode that means they keep the vehicles looking as close as possible to standard. There is usually little to give away that the vehicle is armored, either inside or out. What you might see are roof racks, nudge bars, HF/VHF antennas, and recovery gear (like a tow strop) ready to go. Like the current crop of MRAP models with armored glass, there is also a greenish tint to the glass that gives away the fact that it's thicker than normal.

Having said that, in Toyota Landcruiser SUVs there is often an armored box in the cargo area, with a large swing door inside the normal door. You can find pictures on various manufacturers' websites, such as here:

http://www.interarmored.com/en/vehicles/product-range/armored-suvs?listing=7387210234801878440

Hope it helps.
spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC
what is the armored box used for
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what is the armored box used for

That's where they put the V.I.P.

Here are some armored Pajeros (but these are more recent models than the Takom kit) :

http://www.armsvos.cz/en/armoured-vehicles/armoured-cross-country/mitsubishi-pajero/pajero-photogalery/

http://www.asc-germany.de/vehicles/armored-suv-based-on-mitsubishi-pajero

H.P.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC
An FJ70 or -80 LandCruiser would be lovely.....
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 02:08 AM UTC
The vehicles are usually known as B6 or even B7 by their armour protection level. The box is for the VIP or for cargo. Remember it's not just the box the whole vehicle is armoured they armour the interior including the doors and the glass. You end up with a vehicle with uprated engine and suspension and windows that do not open.

It is rare for the doors to have weapon ports, they usually have run flat tyres. They are very difficult to open and especially if they have been in a traffic accident. They are not bomb proof, they are resistant but not that resilient.

I hope this helps
 _GOTOTOP