_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Mk III
pcavender
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 09:42 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me what is the length of the Sherman MkIII antenna? I'm new to modeling (2 months) now and I can't find information that describes the length. I am building the DML Sherman Mk III DV Initial Version?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 10:25 PM UTC
Sherman III implies the No 19 set wireless. The 19 set had two receivers, the A and B sets and pretty much always had two aerials.

The A aerials were supplied in three 4 foot sections that were linked together depending upon what range you needed. They did not taper and were about 3/8" in diameter. They came in sets of 3 through 4 could be linked and used when the vehicle was stationary. Never more than 8", though, for a vehicle when moving.

The B set aerial was 20" x 1/4", one size only.

HTH

Paul
pcavender
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:28 PM UTC
Thanks for the info. Can you recommend a good reference book to add to my library?
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:52 AM UTC
If you can find the Concord book 'British Sherman Tanks' by Denis Oliver that has some good photos and artwork.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info. Can you recommend a good reference book to add to my library?

A referance for what, specifically?

Shermans? British Radios? Antennas? :-)

Paul
pcavender
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:39 PM UTC
Steve recommended the Concord book 'British Sherman Tanks' by Denis Oliver. I'll check this one out. Are there any other British Sherman Tank references out there beside this one?
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:02 AM UTC
Concord have a number of books with lots of British sherman pics.
British Armour in Sicily and Italy
British Armour in NW Europe vol 1 and 2
The problem is, finding them at reasonable prices
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 05:07 AM UTC
There are several of the Armor Photo Gallery series that deal with various Shermans plus several of the Armor Color Gallery series that detail the markings of Canadian and New Zealand vehicles, including Shermans, of course. Mark Hayward's "Sherman Firefly" book is about as British as Shermans get.

"Son of Sherman, from Ampersand, has a lot of the fine details of Shermans that are applicable to any Sherman user.

Are you more interested in British service exclusively or are you also interested in Commonwealth service?

HTH

Paul
pcavender
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 05:43 AM UTC
Just started in the military modeling about 2 months ago and unfortunately I purchased a DML Sherman MkIII DV Initial Production kit for my second build. This kit is definitely not for the junior builder. Not only am I learning new building techniques but, I am trying to be as accurate as possible. I joined the local AMPS association and would at least like to "ride with the big boys" with their builds. At this point I am just looking for a good reference for the Sherman MkIII or British Shermans...I ordered the "Son of Shermans" book but, it hasn't arrived yet. I want to concentrate on the Shermans since my father was in WWII, 3rd Army, 10th Armored Division under Gen. Patton.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just started in the military modeling about 2 months ago and unfortunately I purchased a DML Sherman MkIII DV Initial Production kit for my second build. This kit is definitely not for the junior builder. Not only am I learning new building techniques but, I am trying to be as accurate as possible. I joined the local AMPS association and would at least like to "ride with the big boys" with their builds. At this point I am just looking for a good reference for the Sherman MkIII or British Shermans...I ordered the "Son of Shermans" book but, it hasn't arrived yet. I want to concentrate on the Shermans since my father was in WWII, 3rd Army, 10th Armored Division under Gen. Patton.

Some excellent references are available and I really would recommend finding a copy of the "New Breed" by Dennis Oliver for a Desert Sherman III
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Breed-Africa-Marking/dp/0980463106

For the actual vehicle details the Armorphotgallery series has a title on the M4A2 75mm:
http://armorama.com/review/1071
This is a good listing of Sherman Related items and reviews of them:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/subject
/sherman.htm

CHeers
Al
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For the actual vehicle details the Armor photo gallery series has a title on the M4A2 75mm:
http://armorama.com/review/1071

I provided a number of photos and the manual images in that book! I have access to the M4A2 in London ON as well as the manual in my collection if specific info is needed.

Paul
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:19 AM UTC
Don't forget online resources like Sherman Minutia for one. And once you build one, there will be more...

Jim
pcavender
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:20 AM UTC
Thanks much. This site does help.
 _GOTOTOP