_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
tracks needed
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:19 AM UTC
I picked up an old Tamiya SU-122 cheap at a contest; it's building into a nice-looking model but the rubber bands around the "rubber band" tracks were on so long they left the tracks warped/twisted in a couple spots; I model on a budget and can't afford aftermarket; I am trying to work with them but does anyone have a spare set of tracks he is willing to part with? "rubber band" variety are fine; thanks
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:56 AM UTC
Have you tried putting them in really hot water? Not boiling, but almost. Leave them in for a couple of minutes so they reach the temp. of the water, then get them out - just use something other than your fingers to do it. Before they have a chance to cool off, pull them tight enough so that all of the kinks are out, then "fix" them under cold water. You might have to do it a couple of times if they're kinked as bad as you say.
It's worth a shot.
Sheridan551
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:19 AM UTC
I might. I ordered a updated set of tracks and they should be here soon. Once they show up, I'll let you know and if you still want the kit originals, they're yours.

Matt
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC
I'll try the hot water technique and go from there; appreciate the help guys; I'll keep you updated
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:47 PM UTC
hi guys; tried the hot water technique but it didn't work; I think the tracks were just too old; Matt if you are still willing to part with your set I'd appreciate it; let me know if I can help with any shipping cost you might incur; my address is:

Brian Channel
508 Freemont Street
Durand, IL 61024

thanks again guys for the help; I do appreciate it
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 10:41 PM UTC
Brian, you might wish to keep your address more private by just messaging Matt using your private messages box (see where it says Inbox at the very top right of the screen).

As it happens I too have a spare set of these, but the postage from here will prob be as much as a new set of tracks. With the reshaping thing, might be worth trying keeping them under some weight for a long time, like a few days. Maybe two pieces of wood long ways either side of the central track pins, holding the tracks down flat, then placing a pile of books etc, on them. Perhaps warming them a little with a hairdryer, but then leaving them while you build the rest of the kit...

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC
I might have a started set of Modelkasten T34 tracks laying around I have no intention of using. Having worked with other sets, I grew away from using Modelkasten. My 'loss' would be your gain...contact me in a couple of days so I have time to look through the stash...
Sheridan551
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 01:50 AM UTC
Brian,

Happy to drop the tracks in the mail for you. I'll mail them out this weekend. Don't worry about the cost.

Matt
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 02:24 AM UTC
thank you Matt; really appreciate it; cheers
 _GOTOTOP