_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tempra paint as whitewash German camo
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:50 PM UTC
Just throwing this out there; here are several results of using basic grade school water based tempra paint to simulate winter whitewash camo.

Several advantages are to be had in that you apply the tempra with either a brush or spray it on with an airbrush. You can streak or weather it using just a broad moist brush and finally, if you don't like the effect simply wash it off with water!

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC
Demag D7 SPG:

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:02 AM UTC
Reference:

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:09 AM UTC
That looks the part. Been meaning to do a winter vehicle and use a cake of white I bought for the purpose.

Kimmo
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:44 AM UTC
I have used craft store white acrylic paint in the past. Looks nice and sloppy, can be scraped up with a wooden toothpick or rubbed away with a damp cotton swab. I would bet the tempera paint would work the same. The builds look very good.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 12:06 AM UTC
OK now I am just bragging . . .

The front end is off the ESCI kit b/c it had the Demag logo cast into the radiator cowl and I feel the headlights and other front detail parts are cast in a much more delicate manor. The main body is the Tamiya/Italeri/Revell offering and finally the PAK 38 gun and gun crew is the sepurb Dragon product. A scratch built gun mount brings them all together and the crew has been greatly repositioned.

Please realize this build was done years before Dragon ever came out with their great kit of this same vehicle. But even in the Dragon kit the one part that fails is their rendition of the gun mount. On the Dragon offering the gun sits too high and this mount is just one big block of cheese with no rearward extending body bracing. It would never work in real life and would tear up the vehicle with continued use!

The folded cloth top is the ESCI part modified to accommodate the spare tire. The ESCI folded top beats all the others for realism and a more correct shape.

Here the gun mount is just dry fitted and the diagonal bracing from the gun mount to the rear corners of the vehicle have not yet been added.
 _GOTOTOP