_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tip On Dealing With Individual Link Track
druiddogzz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC

Hi Dudes, My son gave me a Dragon Maus tank kit for christmas. While I was working on it I discovered that it was one of those kits where the plastic track was individual cleats that had to be glued together to form the track. THis normally wouldn't have been to much of a problem , but on this particular model there was next to " zero" amount of room in which to manipulate each of the individual track segments, and glue each one as you went on the model itself. Especially on the top of the track.

I first glued the track segments together that we going to be horizontal useing my usual liquid plastic cement. That left me with the horizontal ( bottom) segments and the horizontal (top) track segments. The pain was how to deal with the curves as the track wrapped around the drive gears in the front and back. So I came up with an idea that worked real well for me, and I thought I would share it with all of you.

My track segments were already painted.

I tacked the track segments down on my workboard, in a dry assembly in the order that they would have to be assembled to make a complete track. Then I took liguid latex and painted a thin coat down the middle of the track, and at each joint between links that I wanted to be flexable. Then I left them over night to dry. The liquid latex dried, to a fairly transparent color. When I removed the pins holding the track to the board I found that I had a nice continuous segment of track that was very flexible where I needed it to be. IT was super easy to mount the track on the model, and I was left with only haveing to make ONE on model glue joint, instead of 50 or so. It worked great for me and will now be my technique of choice for dealing with those models where they expect you to glue each individual track tread together.

I took pictures while I was doing this, and hoped to be able to post them here along with this message, but I don't seem to be able to. So if anyone would like to see them simply drop me an e-mail and I will send them to you. The pictures do a better job probably, then my text, at explaining what I did.
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:19 AM UTC
Druiddogzz-
Sounds like a great idea. Where can I find liquid latex?
Kyle
druiddogzz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC

Hi, you can find it usually at any of the better craft stores. It comes in a white plastic "jar" about the size of a peanut butter jar ( for the large size). You can also find it in the MICRO-MARK catalogue, that is where I actually got my latest jar. It is used for makeing molds, and has a lot of uses in the train hobby area to, ( I have put it to use extensively there) so a good train hooby shop with scenery supplies might have it to. Its for makeing molds so ti will be in the casting section of your craft store, with the plaster , and casting resin and stuff.

Later,
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 04:27 AM UTC
Howdy druid,

First, welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard!
Your method sounds darn good on the surface (pardon the pun ). And it also sounds like it works pretty good as well. The first question that popped into my mind was one of painting the tracks you built with this method. I guess in my mind I'm likening the liquid latex patches on the tracks to patches of excess glue. Have you painted the tracks yet? If so, did you use enamel or acrylic, and how did it cover? I have seen excellent models built and painted up only to be able to see very clearly what looks like small painted 'blobs' of glue (I'm thinking of a ship model I saw that had obvious mini mounds of glue that were just simply painted over. Spoiled the overall quality of the model)
Was just wondering.
Otherwise it sounds like a fantastic idea!

Tread.
druiddogzz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC

Hey Treadhead, I painted my track first, - first with flat black enamel, then dry brushed with rust acrylic, and then dry brushed again with two different colors of metallic acrylic. First I painted the latex on down the inside middle of the tread, so it was hidden bt the drive gears and drive wheels. Second, it drys to a real thin film, not blobby at all, and is transparent. When you do it before weathering, you practically can't see it at all. It really doesn't look very much different then if you actually glued each individual tread with liquid cement, but it amounts to more then 1000% less hassle. I didn't put any latex on the road surface of the tread, just on the inside.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:35 PM UTC
You may have just convinced me to try indi-link tracks! Welcome to Armorama and thanks for the tip.
Chuck
druiddogzz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
Thanks, By the way I'm ex Air Force Too! SSGT - 1974 to 1980. AFCS, AFCC, SAC, TAC & PACAF. Keesler, Andrews, Camp Red Cloud Korea ( 604thDASS), and Edwards AFB.

druiddogzz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:54 AM UTC

P.S. I Like your Web Site. Question? Whats the procedure to use in order to post Digital Images of you models, and or your how to process. I took some pics of my track idea but don't know how/where it's appropriate to post them.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, By the way I'm ex Air Force Too! SSGT - 1974 to 1980. AFCS, AFCC, SAC, TAC & PACAF. Keesler, Andrews, Camp Red Cloud Korea ( 604thDASS), and Edwards AFB.

I was at Kwang-ju in 87-88. I was a medic for 23 yrs.
You can post your pictures in the gallery. Click on the "My Gallery" button on one of your posts. Then click on submit photo once you're there.
You should also consider doing a feature on your tip. You can click on "submitting Content" on the main Armorama page to find out how.
Chuck
 _GOTOTOP