_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What did recon troops carry in OIF, 2003
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi there,

I am building a USMC recon Humvee that should depict a vehicle deployed during the invasion to Iraq in 2003. The Alice and the Molle packs canīt miss for sure, but the reference photos donīt show if the large duffel bags were also there.
Do you know/think that recon guys carried duffel bags in their Humvees or potentially in some supply truck that followed the first line troops?

Thank you for any idea or thought. I really hope they did not, since 3-4 other large bags will for sure not fit in my Humvee

Cheers
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC
Duffles aren't a bad call. They'd have had to have their MOPPS gear close, and it's tool large to fit an assault pack, which you can include as well as the masks, either on their person or readily accessible.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:46 AM UTC
I was on the Spring Break '03 Tour. Sea bags were stowed in Kuwait before we moved north, everybody in the 1st MARDIV was on what they called Log Lite. Beans, bullets, water and fuel. We carried our second J-List suit in the vehicle in a single parachute bag and wore the first with PT Gear under it. I'd go with a single duffel bag since I don't know of any 1/35 scale parachute bags out there.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC
By that do you mean the aviator kit bag we put the chutes in after a jump? Legend makes one.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 01:29 AM UTC
Rob, yeah, avaiator kit bag, parachute bag, samey-same to me. I didn't know that Legend had one in their line, I stand corrected. Either the duffel bag or one of them would work nicely.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 01:37 AM UTC
Unfortunately it's not a separate item. It comes with some of their stowage sets - the M109A6 for one. In fact, it has a lot of useful items for the OP.
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi Jiri,
Had an idea for you,check out the HBO Series GENERATION KILL.
Its about a USMC RECON Platoon during the invasion of Iraqi.

Not only should it provide an answer to your question,I hope,
but it is a brilliant story based on the book of the same name,well acted and the ideal thing to have playing on the TV while you build.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Chris.

skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 12:41 AM UTC
Dear all,
thanks a lot for your comments. I think I have an idea now, but will for sure check photos of the 1st recon bn. Some of their vehicles were completely stripped down so hopefully something is visible.

J.
 _GOTOTOP