Hosted by Darren Baker
silfor
meissen
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 257 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 04:27 PM UTC
has anyone out there ever used Silfor? i guess its like superfine nylon fibers in mat form used in railroad modelling and its supposedly a product that surpasses all other ways of making grass. it looks insanely good in the pictures and i was wondering if anyone's ever used it. its shown at www.internationalmodels.net.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:59 PM UTC
sEEMS REALLY GOOD STYFF , BUT NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE OR USE IT.New stuff for me, anyway here in Greece most things that u can find out there we cannot so .....
-Captain-
Visit this Community
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:58 AM UTC
meissen
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC
thanks for the reply major_goose. it seems like im in the same boat this time, from what i read its only available mail-order through the company that makes it.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:43 AM UTC
Meissen

If you decide to try this stuff, put up a post and tell us how it turns out. I know I checked out the web site. The stuff looks alright but it might be a little to uniform and even to look real.

Good Luck
Wolfsix
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:32 AM UTC
Silflor is a registered brandname for scenery accessories. you can view their homepage over here (sorry, but when I tried the english pages where dead) :

Silflor Landschaftsmodellbau GmbH

One of the products they have is the foam mats as described by meissen. I'm very careful to use it in 1/35 scale though. I tried it some times, but in the end my conclusion was that it still looked like painted foam. It is very good though to make foliage for trees, vines and draping foliage (ivy).
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
Thanks meissen,
just checked it out. Looks amazing. And the range looks very useful...short summer grass, long...etc.
I have yet to do a dio, but I am tempted.
Some houses in Scandianavia and the Russian steps have turf roofs and Silfor would be perfect for that.
Thanks again.
Peter
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
One problem I see with this is that it is like a carpet. The application might be tricky and making it appear realistic in 1:35 scale might be also tough. It may be OK for making a tall grass field but as far as the short grass goes, I still think that static grass would be the way to go.
meissen
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
thanks for the comments guys, i think ill probably opt to go for the static grass in my dioramas, seems more economical. maybe one of these days ill try some of this stuff, and ill be sure to tell you guys about it.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
its looks like it would be great for small scale, but far too uniform for 1/35, would probably look like carpet!

cheers

joe
 _GOTOTOP