Auf der Lüneburger Heide
_AMZs_
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:03 AM UTC
Auf der Lüneburger Heide

After a hiatus of two decades since building my last AFV model, I am getting back into model building. To my relief, a lot has changed. Much better models, techniques and weathering products. I am afraid now my skills need to be brought into the 21st century.

This small diorama was inspired by the German folk song "Auf der Lüneburger Heide". The song is quite charming, so I thought; why not to depict a start to a picnic in the Heath for Erika and Fritz...let the good times roll!

Although I never been in that region of Germany, I tried to boil down the essence of the landscape. The Schwimmwagen is from Tamiya, the passenger, Fraulein Erika is my design. She was modelled in ZBrush and printed at Shapeways. Same with the sheep. The water is Envirotex and the rest of the scenery is from Woodland Scenics.

Thanks for looking.
Comments are welcome!

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hello ,

that's a nice diorama , especially the water effect looks very convincing to me .

Well done !

Kurt
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:46 AM UTC

Yes, the water effect is OK, but IMHO the tyre should perhaps be more "embedded" in the drink. Here it looks like the water is "fleeing from the tyre"..

Cheers

Romain

iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC
I spent two years near the 'Luneburger Heide' when I was in the army stationed at Bergen-Hohne. I recall there was a very expensive but superb restaurant in that area.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 03:11 AM UTC
Nice subject!! I do think you have all of the prerequisites for that area.
The girl of course is my favorite bit in here. She turned out very nicely. Do you use this 3D program often?
J
_AMZs_
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:28 PM UTC
kurnuy:

Thanks for the nice comments. The water, in addition to Envirotex, has a layer of heavy modeling paste, that I have used to make the waves.

1stjaeger:

I see what you mean. The water is a little bit ahead of the tire. Well-caught!

iowabrit:

I hope it is not the poor sheep that ended up in the restaurant!

jrutman:

Thanks for the comments. Indeed, the girl is the focal point. I tried to emphasize her cheerful pose with the lighting too. As for ZBrush, I do use it often. It is an amazing choice for organic modeling, It is very neat, particularly if coupled with 3D printing. Imagine the possibilities of all figures, poses, limbs and accessories one can make to express their creativity in model making.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
Cool little diorama and a nice idea.

Thanks for sharing
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:57 PM UTC
This is really something unique & different! The figures and sheep are very well done and the groundwork looks realistic. IMHO, the only critique would be the fence. The rails should probably be of smaller diameter than the posts, and it's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but the rails don't seem to be attached in any way to the posts.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:06 PM UTC
Cool subject. Looks like you'll get very good smileage from this gem!

—mike
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:37 PM UTC

Hi AMZs,

First of all, welcome to our great community and also welcome back to the modeling !

I like your diorama: very simple and uncommon subject. As already someone has said, the girl is the focal point. Also very nicely ''printed''.

One remark: I see a discrepancy between the festive aspect of the girl and the soldier wearing even the helmet ! Perhaps no helmet would be more suitable for the occasion.

Cheers
Giovanni
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC

I obviously overlooked the text in your first post!

It's one of my deficiencies....I see pictures..and I forget everything else!!

The girl is your creation.....and I must say she looks absolutely super!!!

I know how difficult it is to "scratch" a human figure....and more so a female!!!

Congratulations Sir!!!

Cheers

Romain

_AMZs_
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the comments!

obg153:

You are right, should have not used the same bamboo skewer for both the post and the fence. Lesson learned!

Giovanni1508:

No helmet???
I think the superiors would be unhappy already that the guy has his shirt unbuttoned. Actually the unbuttoned shirt gave me the idea of the diorama, to make something relaxed. But yes, the lack of helmet would have added more to the scene. Thanks!

1stjaeger:

Thanks Romain. Actually, it is easier to model a human body for 3D printing than just for computer screen. The 3D printing, even at 75 microns, can hold much less detail, so other than the general shape, it does not have to be that detailed. Here is a link to the figure at Shapeways, if anybody wants to have one made for themselves. No copyright, no royalties, I am not going to get rich off of this!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/AMZs

Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for the comments!

obg153:

You are right, should have not used the same bamboo skewer for both the post and the fence. Lesson learned!

Giovanni1508:

No helmet???
I think the superiors would be unhappy already that the guy has his shirt unbuttoned. Actually the unbuttoned shirt gave me the idea of the diorama, to make something relaxed. But yes, the lack of helmet would have added more to the scene. Thanks!

1stjaeger:

Thanks Romain. Actually, it is easier to model a human body for 3D printing than just for computer screen. The 3D printing, even at 75 microns, can hold much less detail, so other than the general shape, it does not have to be that detailed. Here is a link to the figure at Shapeways, if anybody wants to have one made for themselves. No copyright, no royalties, I am not going to get rich off of this!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/AMZs

Hi AMZs,

Thanks for posting the link: i've visited the website and also registered !
I think is very interesting ! Thanks

Giovanni

_AMZs_
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC
Welcome!
 _GOTOTOP