Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Halftrack with Mortar
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 04:58 AM UTC
I am considering thinking about converting a 1/72-scale M3 halftrack to the IDF mortar-carrying version. I am just wondering whether the mortar used in these vehicles was the US Army's M30 107mm weapon. If so, I may be able to use the one provided in Italeri's M106 Mortar Carrier (based on the M113) ... assuming I can actually get hold of this particular kit.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 05:01 AM UTC
Slight error with my sentence construction there ... 'considering thinking about'... should have simply read 'thinking about'!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 05:18 AM UTC
They may have had a version like that, but they certainly did have 120mm versions. I need to build three of the 120mm mortar versions used in 1967 for the scene I'm depicting. They accompanied no less than nine Centurions, so I may have to get one of those steel buildings they keep advertising on the radio.
Al LaFleche did a nice one, if you can contact him you can ask which version it was.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 05:44 AM UTC
I've just done some research on the subject. You are correct, the mortar used in the IDF halftracks was the 120mm. Evidently, this was a replacement for the 107mm (lighter, with greater range and firing speed). What I'm not sure of is which version is depicted in the Italeri M106 kit.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 06:54 AM UTC
As far as I know the IDF produced their own 120mm mortar. Not much to one, really. This thread reminds me that at one time I had purchased three Tamiya mortar carriers to convert, but didn't have enough reference to do them to my liking. Then deployments and other travels sort of got in the way of my projects.
In the interim, a book came out with photos of it, and I don't remember the name, but as I type this, my somewhat sketchy memory has suddenly come back to me - a member here named John Rauscher owns a place called Bommer's Books. He was going to get a few copies of that book. I may have to contact him tomorrow. I've got little more than two years to complete this project.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:33 AM UTC
Yes, it would appear that the 120mm mortar was an Israeli-manufactured weapon. You can find out more by Googling 'Soltan K6'.
I just need to find out which version is depicted in the Italeri kit.
 _GOTOTOP