_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
PHOTOS
M561 Gamma Goat
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
Jon Emery shares with us some images of his M561 Gamma Goat in the camouflage and markings of the 2/68 Armor Bn, Baumholder, West Germany, 1986.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:56 PM UTC
Very nice! It is a peculiar looking vehicle but I like it for some reason.

Jon, you did a good job.

Mario
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
Great job on the camo and the figure. There are a few issues though with the gear in the back. The MRE boxes are modern ones that were not around until the late '90s. Earlier MRE boxes were flatter, rectangular boxes. They came in earlier Tamiya kits and their earlier M1/M60 accessory set. Second is the green sleeping bag stuff sacks. First, they should be black, not green. Tamiya's box art is all hosed up on the Modern Accessory set they come in. Secondly, they too are out of time since the sleeping bag system with the stuff sack wasn't issued until about 2000. The old green sleeping bag was still in use in the late '80s. Lastly, the water jug is a British water jug, not US.

Overall a great model, just a few issues with the gear in back.

2000s Sleeping Bag System w/black stuff sack.

Older green sleeping bag used in '80s. These just rolled onto themselves and tied off with lines at the feet.

MRE boxes, modern on top, old style on bottom.

US water can. They come in black, sand, and less commonly in dark green.

barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 07:36 PM UTC
Great Job. That's my old unit. I was in Aco 2/68 From 1985-1988.
11Charlie20
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:15 PM UTC
Thanks barron. Any chance you will be in Richmond on the 28th for ODO? I have some photos of M60A3s, Scout ITVs and of course our mortar gun tracks I will have with me. I am the guy collecting kits for troops, stop by the table.
11Charlie20
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
Thanks Gino, I will correct the MREs and the water can. It has been 25 years and my mind is a little fuzzy. I knew the MREs weren't right just by looking at them. I remembered them being flatter. I was in when we were still fazing out C-rats. Thanks for the pic of the water can. I forgot potable water was tan and I didn't know there was a British style. Easy fixes.

As for the sleeping bags we had our bags wrapped with those waterproof bags that you could see through and a useless OD strap that went around it. It had a handle and some straps to attach to our rucks somehow. We had a real mish-mash of TA-50. Anything waterproof was washed so many times before I was issued it, everything leaked.

I will post a new back pic after the weekend.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:38 PM UTC
I might just have to go there and check it out. It's been a long time since I have been to a model contest. If I go I will stop by and chat with you.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC
And I want to add that some of our watercans in 2/68 were black . The sleeping bags were rolled and put in wet weather bags and tied with the green canvas straps. Every thing you have in the back of the goat, looks right.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:52 AM UTC
Jon - Glad I can be of help. The corrections will make it look even better. Great job on the painting.

Quoted Text

And I want to add that some of our watercans in 2/68 were black . The sleeping bags were rolled and put in wet weather bags and tied with the green canvas straps. Every thing you have in the back of the goat, looks right.

Barron - As I said, the water cans can be black, sand, or dark green, but that is not a US water can, it is a British design. Look at the top, it has two caps on opposite ends, not one like the US ones with only one cap.

Black US water can.

The MRE boxes are definitely too new, look at the pic I posted above of both versions.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:53 AM UTC
I have somewhat fond memories and a small chunk out of my right arm from being bounced around violently in the back of a Goat out in the desert at Ft. Bliss back in the 80's. Those were the loudest freaking vehicles I have ever driven!

And very nice model!
vp0104
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:26 AM UTC
great job on your model and thank you for you service in the military
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 05:50 AM UTC
Yea you are right . A Brit watercan
11Charlie20
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos to this posting...ugh! If you go to my photos here you can see the home made MRE boxes and the correct water can. Really looks better.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos to this posting...ugh! If you go to my photos here you can see the home made MRE boxes and the correct water can. Really looks better.

Go to where you have your photos online (You said MY PHOTOS). Right click on it and choose COPY IMAGE URL. Click the IMG button in the black box. Paste the copied URL to replace http://put.url.here/image.file leaving no space betweenthe bracketed IMG tags.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 12:44 AM UTC
Good job. The new layout looks great too. Now it all fits.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC
Jon: In order to display a picture in these forums upload your images to one of the online galleries and the past the image address between the following HTML commands with no spaces. You will need to change the (l) for (i) as I needed to make the alteration so that the tags would show. [lmg][/lmg]
 _GOTOTOP