_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Model Master Metalizer
tnker101
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
During a build of a Tamiya JSU-152, I decided to go with the rubber band tracks to save time. I primed the tracks with Tamiya primer and used Metalizer steel. After starting to weather the tracks, I notice they were splitting between the links. The only thing I can figure is the Metalizer reacted with the soft plastic of the tracks. So users beware, and I haven't used Metalizer on DS plastic so I'm unaware if there would be an issue there.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:41 PM UTC
I have used an enamel wash on DS Tracks,and they did stiffen some,so I imagine if the enamel is "hot" enough it may damage them.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

During a build of a Tamiya JSU-152, I decided to go with the rubber band tracks to save time. I primed the tracks with Tamiya primer and used Metalizer steel. After starting to weather the tracks, I notice they were splitting between the links. The only thing I can figure is the Metalizer reacted with the soft plastic of the tracks. So users beware, and I haven't used Metalizer on DS plastic so I'm unaware if there would be an issue there.

Tamiya's glueable vinyl track is a styrene-vinyl blend that is extremely sensitive to petroleum distillate thinners. If painted or washed with enamels or lacquers, the plastic will dry out and crumble, often within days. There was a lot of online griping about this in the late 1990's when it was introduced, but every few years a new generation of modelers has to discover it the hard way. Best to paint and wash with acrylics and watercolors.
True vinyl, like that still used by Academy for their tank tracks, will last for decades. However, some of the harder black vinyls, like that used for truck tires in some kits, can exude oily residue that attacks styrene. This is a sporadic problem that varies from batch to batch, but some Italeri kits have exhibited it. It occurs often enough that some kit builders will always replace vinyl tires with resin.
 _GOTOTOP