_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Converting US Korean War figs to US WWII?
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC
How easy (or hard) is it to convert Korean War US infantry figures to WWII US infantry and what around the necessary changes entail? If it's just a matter of paint colors, I'm fine. But if it's more than that I'd have to figure something out.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
Depending on the figures, not really. This site gives a good rundown on how the uniforms changed for Korea.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How easy (or hard) is it to convert Korean War US infantry figures to WWII US infantry and what around the necessary changes entail? If it's just a matter of paint colors, I'm fine. But if it's more than that I'd have to figure something out.

Compare DRAGON's Korean War GIs and Marines to some of their WWII subjects of the same, and you'll see that the equipment and uniforms are nearly identical. For instance, if you wanted to create US Marines at Pusan, or Chosin, you could use the DRAGON 101st Airborne, "Battle of the Bulge" figure set as a starting point. About the only thing you would need to change is the heads/helmets- The Marines in Korea generally had the cloth camo covers on their helmets, whereas the 101st AB had either bare helmets or netting on their helmets. You wouldn't want WWII-style leggings over your Korea Marines' boots, either... I believe DRAGON made 2 (?) different sets of Marines serving in Korea... Hope this helps...
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 12:57 AM UTC
I have the Pusan Perimeter set. Is it fine OOB to use as WWII GIs?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Pusan Perimeter set. Is it fine OOB to use as WWII GIs?

I would think so, since a lot of WWII US uniforms and equipment were used in Korea. About the only thing you wouldn't want to use are the USMC-style helmets with the cloth camo covers, if you're doing WWII GIs in Europe. I don't think that I've ever seen USMC-style helmet covers worn by US Army GIs in any of my books or DVDs. I've never seen the canvas helmet covers used by WWII GIs on any of the documentaries on TV, either...

You may want to find some 1/35 US boots with the canvas leggings. Even though many GIs were wearing the newer M1943 boots by late 1944, many were still wearing the canvas leggings by war's end. You can source the boots w/canvas leggings from VERLINDEN's US Tanker and US Infantry Conversion sets. I've seen these resin sets selling on ebay for as little as $5 or $6 bucks apiece... Good Luck!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS- You might want to source some GIs wearing heavy parkas from the DRAGON US 10th Mountain Division Set. This could help you create some of the better-equipped Marines in Korea. At Chosin however, the Marines were woefully dis-advantaged against the winter weather, being equipped with the WWII-style, US Army long wool coats like you see in DRAGON's 101st Airborne "Battle of the Bulge" set, and their M1 105mm Howitzer with Crew kit...
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 04:03 PM UTC
Since I might use them in a future dio I'm planing based in mid-44, I'm fine with the M1943 boots. I just have to check the helmets now.
Edit:
I checked and there's no cover on the helmets.

Quoted Text

PS- You might want to source some GIs wearing heavy parkas from the DRAGON US 10th Mountain Division Set. This could help you create some of the better-equipped Marines in Korea. At Chosin however, the Marines were woefully dis-advantaged against the winter weather, being equipped with the WWII-style, US Army long wool coats like you see in DRAGON's 101st Airborne "Battle of the Bulge" set, and their M1 105mm Howitzer with Crew kit...

I'm looking to make WWII soldiers out of Korean soldiers. I'm going back in time. I'm looking to make some Spring '44 US soldiers in Western Germany.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm looking to make WWII soldiers out of Korean soldiers. I'm going back in time. I'm looking to make some Spring '44 US soldiers in Western Germany.

Why do you have to try and back-date them? There is a plethora of WWII figure sets. One has to fit the bill.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 08:39 PM UTC
Well I have this set already. And I don't have much money to buy any new ones. I have 1 Gen2 set coming in along with a weapons set. That pretty much took up all of the spare money I had. And with no job yet, I don't plan on buying anything anytime soon.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:52 PM UTC
I would wait and save up my money and get the proper figures as opposed to maybe getting them to look right. The Korean War uniforms and gear were different. They were not just recycled WWII uniforms and gear.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I have this set already. And I don't have much money to buy any new ones. I have 1 Gen2 set coming in along with a weapons set. That pretty much took up all of the spare money I had. And with no job yet, I don't plan on buying anything anytime soon.

The Pusan Perimeter figures out of the box are fine for guys in herringbone twill uniforms in World War II. Greenish grey uniforms instead of the green on the box. Deleting the thigh pockets and painting in that brownish light and dark OD gives you shirt sleeves US infantry.

The guys who fought in the Korea in 1950 used all recycled World War II equipment and uniforms to even include the old style 1941 parsons jackets (period photos prove that) But the machine gun and M2 Carbine are definitely postwar so you should use an M1 carbine and standard tripod mounted 30 caliber.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC
The weapons are no problem as I've lost those. But thanks for help.
 _GOTOTOP