_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
WW2 German Armor primer
jayjay82
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
hey everyone.

i was just wondering, were German armored vehicles primed with the oxide reddish color throughout the entire course of the war?
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:50 PM UTC
Yes I do believe all exterior metal was primed with red oxide at all points in the war.
jayjay82
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:59 PM UTC
Thank you! much obliged
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes I do believe all exterior metal was primed with red oxide at all points in the war.

Some vehicles, such as the Panther and Jagdpanther, had an anticorrosion treatment that was a 'cold' (i.e., slightly bluish) grey color; there is some evidence in color photographs of the Daimler-Benz and MNH plants from the end of the war that this was not always oversprayed in Rotbraun primer. Additionally, peripheral subassemblies, like storage boxes and mudguards, that came from other suppliers may not have been in Rotbraun primer, and there are examples of gun barrels with just the gray heat-resistant primer from near the end of the war. But these are all special-case exceptions to the standard.

Overall Rotbraun primer was the standard; it would be difficult if not impossible to be provably wrong if you are not modeling a specific vehicle with color photographic evidence to the contrary.
 _GOTOTOP