_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Spare tire on Cougar mrap in Afghanistan
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC
I have just started to build a little on my Meng models Cougar Mrap and i'm thinking of maybe put on 1 spare tire on one of the sides, is that wrong if you want to do a version from afghanistan? As most of the photos i find on internet are without spare tire but i have found some that have it but i don't know if they are from Afghanistan, maybe they can be from Iraq also...
So does anyone know if that is possible, so it's not totally wrong?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 01:24 AM UTC
In this Afghanistan picture (from DVIDS.net), you can see at least the empty spare wheel mount

"A U.S. Army Cougar mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicle assigned to the 2nd Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division provides security for a tree-clearing operation at a cemetery near Kandalay, Afghanistan, Sept. 25, 2010."

EDIT : I guess these should fit the bill better :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/theeodguy/4671987278/sizes/o/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/theeodguy/4213750956/sizes/o/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/theeodguy/4307096602/sizes/o/

from this Flickr album

H.P.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Roger,
I know you have my Cougar photos. I think the ones showing the field armor in place of the spare tire are far more interesting, and as you can see, the spares are up top. I was told by the crewthat was to minimize fires caused by EID's. Of course the drive wheels have those fire extinguisher nozzles. True, those photos are from Iraq, not Afghanistan.
I say you can use a little artistic license. (Yes, there are some who lack imagination and can only model what they've seen in a photo) In this case it's very plausible since it has been done. Not like say, using a tanker helmet on a guy from a future era. Can you post some progress photos?

Regards,
Rob
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 04:12 PM UTC
Thanks Henri-Pierre and Robert, then i can put atleast 1 spare tire on the Cougar...
Yes Robert , i will try to post some photos here of my build... I just started on it now so i will build a little more before i do it... Just need to figure out how to show photos here on this website...
And if i'm lucky, maybe it will come out an basic detail set for the Cougar soon also i have been told from a guy in South Korea...is it you Robert that are behind that set also
Hope they will do the mine roller also for the kit...
But it will come photos of my build here when i have build a little more on the kit
 _GOTOTOP