_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
vallejo 72 piece paint set.
mowen16818
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC
I was wondering if the 72 piece panzer paint set covers most of the colors for armor and figures. Can someone give me a universal list (if more than the 72 piece is needed) Also,how long do the paints they once opened,? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ANYTHING ELSE A NEWBIE SHOULD GET TO GET STARTED.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:10 AM UTC
You'll do well to start with that. You'll probably find that some colours won't get used at all if much. Learn to mix colours and you won't have to keep buying that one particular shade of X. The paints should keep for quite a few years if you seal the cap tightly after use. If they do start to thicken, add a couple drops of Vallejo's own thinner or water. And experiment as much as you can with thinning ratios, using mediums and brush techniques. The paints are quite easy to work with after a couple of sessions.

Kimmo
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You'll do well to start with that. You'll probably find that some colours won't get used at all if much. Learn to mix colours and you won't have to keep buying that one particular shade of X. The paints should keep for quite a few years if you seal the cap tightly after use. If they do start to thicken, add a couple drops of Vallejo's own thinner or water. And experiment as much as you can with thinning ratios, using mediums and brush techniques. The paints are quite easy to work with after a couple of sessions.

Kimmo

+1, I would buy a few to see if you like vallejo paint. People are in two camps it seems, ones that can get them to work and people frustrated with them.
tha_militant
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:31 AM UTC
I have the model color set and they are still like new had for a few years now

they brush paint really well never tried airbrush

on the vallejo FAQs it now says to use a couple drops of crackle medium

the case they come in is awesome too and it comes with a huge paint chart and a couple brushes made from toray
tha_militant
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:34 AM UTC
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/74-military-colors-_-brushes/family/15/36

if you just like one country you might save money buying smaller sets it's a ton of paint some of mine I have never used good lcuk

that link has all the colors listed in the set not what you wanted but it should help
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:06 AM UTC
I have Vallejo paints that I bought about 10 years ago and haven't touched since until this week and they are fine. Just as long as the cap is screwed on well and a good shake to mix the bottle before use and your away. Definitely the best paints out there in my opinion.
 _GOTOTOP