_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer IV ausf D
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:02 PM UTC
Just posting some progress of my Dragon panzer IV ausf D.
I will be doing panzer 421 from the 6th panzer division that took part in operation Barbarossa.
I had to make a new jerry can holder for the left side that held 4 cans plus I shall be using Archers dry transfers for the numbers and unit markings.

original photo:

With crew on board from Master box.

base coat of Vallejo panzer grey

Thanks
Karl
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
Looks good Karl. Nice job on the can rack.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks Bob
Just finished putting the main base coat on using model air panzer grey,tomorrow I will paint model air dark grey blue and then highlights of pale grey blue followed by a gloss coat.

Karl
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 02:11 PM UTC
Just a quick update on my Panzer IV.I have finished painting and ready to apply the weathering.I have tried to simulate chips but not sure how they look.
It will be darkened down a bit with a dark wash/dust and dry mud.

Feel free to add any criticism

Karl
KevPak
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:44 PM UTC
Looks good so far, Karl. I do think it will look even better once you darken the PG base coat. Just as an aside, do you know why the commander is wearing a white armband? Another tank commander behind him is also wearing the same type of "accessory." Was this peculiar to 6th PD?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good so far, Karl. I do think it will look even better once you darken the PG base coat. Just as an aside, do you know why the commander is wearing a white armband? Another tank commander behind him is also wearing the same type of "accessory." Was this peculiar to 6th PD?

Thanks Kevin

Not too sure on the armband but I found this out:

"The armband featured here was issued to individuals who volunteered their time and services to the armed forces in a non-combat role. They would perform tasks such as driving supplies, distribute uniforms to the soldiers, etc. It was worn on the left arm of their uniforms"

Regards
Karl
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:30 PM UTC
The D is coming along nicely!

While I personally think the chipping may be a little over-done, it looks pretty nice, and weathering will just improve on an already good-looking panzer!

The pic scene looks to be calm and well behind the front-lines... maybe a unit marshaling area or in a training site?

From the apparent "standing looking over things" positions of those 2 chaps with white arm-bands, I actually assume that they could have been maneuver umpires or training instructors or perhaps supervising a unit movement behind the lines or in a exercise area. One looks to be wearing some version of a panzer crew black uniform, while the other appears to be wearing some none-panzer-crew uniform - both appear to be rather "supervisorial" as versus being folks providing some volunteer help or such.

Training cadre in maneuver and training sites and rear-area yard-and-route marshals and folks overseeing loading of vehicles in RR depots often appear in pics to be wearing such arm-bands. As distinct from feldgendarmerie / feldpolizei, who wore large oval brassards on their chests when at work.

Just, of course, my opinion.

Bob
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:43 PM UTC
I think your about right there Bob

Cheers
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 03:44 AM UTC
Hi Karl, Your build is looking really good. I like the base color paint job you've achieved.

My only comment is about chipping — not so much the amount, but how evenly spaced it seems — almost patterned. You might want to think about where the actual wear occurs. Just visualize where the crew would climb up and down repeatedly, and/or where fenders might have been bumped from sloppy driving, etc. Reference images/films really aid during this process.

That said, I really like the build.

—mike
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 04:15 AM UTC
Thanks Mike

It's really the first time I have tried that type of chips and I think I over did it a bit but next time I shall keep it subtle.Hopefully some more weathering will blend them together.

Karl
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's really the first time I have tried that type of chips and I think I over did it a bit but next time I shall keep it subtle.Hopefully some more weathering will blend them together.

Karl, I've been there ... believe me! When I first returned to modeling, due to my poor eyesight, I had a tendancy to get closer and closer to my work, to the point where I got tunnel vision. When I would step back, I couldn't understand how I patterned my chipping effect! Since then, I've learned to walk away and review my work after more frequent breaks.

One simple recovery method I've learned: Take your base coat color and paint-in some of the unwanted chips on one side only and then compare the results with the other. I use this trick often so I don't get too carried away.

—mike
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 05:59 AM UTC
I think your Pzr IV is looking good! I concur about the chipping being too patterned.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 01:05 PM UTC
Nearly done now just have to wait for some Mig pigments and give it a bit of a dusty look.

Thanks
Karl
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 07:29 PM UTC
Very well done! The only changes I would suggest would be some piano wire for the aerial (looks rather thick) and red-brown for the wire cutter handles (Bakelite), although in the original picture it looks so dusty you can't even tell the colour. Other than that, excellent work!
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:42 PM UTC
Thanks for your comment Colin
I shall touch up the tools as I sprayed a light coat of dust over the tank and some of the tool handles have change colour.
The antenna is the kit one and I agree might be on the thick side.

Thanks
Karl
 _GOTOTOP