_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Skif T-64 questions
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:07 PM UTC
Hello all. There's been one of these in the local hobbyshop's bargain bin for ages now, and I keep debating on whether or not to grab it. Anyone ever build this, or know how accurate it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all. There's been one of these in the local hobbyshop's bargain bin for ages now, and I keep debating on whether or not to grab it. Anyone ever build this, or know how accurate it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How much of a bargain, and how bad do you need a T64 in your stable?
Which kit is it. A, B or ERA vers?
How much AMS do you suffer from?

I can't get into Track link tonight, where I think I saw the review that said that one (the A) had the right turret shape and configuration, and the others erroniously used the same turret.

The A and B that I have have chunky/clunky detail , sort of on par with the poorer quality Italeri kits. They use rubber band tracks in halves. Two parts per side and their individual link package has barely enough links for one tank IF you don't break any and IF they are all molded well.

but it is the only game in town.

Maybe a google/ejanews search for "t-64 +skif +Cookie" will turn up Cookie Sewells reviews.

Mike
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
Thanks for the info. It is the A version. Fixing up detail doesn't scare me, but dealing with poor tracks is a concern.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:25 AM UTC
I googled for it last night.
There was a review of that kit by Cookie Sewell on Hyperscale, but the link to it from the reviews page is dead.

The nvst (??) aamg is pretty anemic, the one of the DML T80 series has the same gun, done slightly better, if I am remembering correctly.. it is early and I haven't had much coffee.. ooopss coffee... ... oh, well either way...

Mike
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:14 AM UTC
The review is still archived in rec.models.scale.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=1998070100361700.UAA27260%40ladder01.news.aol.com

Skif also makes a set of single link tracks for this kit and Eduard made (makes?) a PE set for it as well. My Eduard T-64A PE set is #35203. I do not know the difference between the T-64A, T-64Б and T-64БB. I have kit #203 the T-64Б and the last letter looks like the lower case letter "b" to me. The box art shows that one has gill armor, one has ERA and mine hs plain rubber skirts.

Seems like the only game in town for this elusive Soviet tank.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:04 AM UTC

Thanks Rob, I knew it was out there.. I have to start saving these as I see them go past.

Mike
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the link to that review, Rob. It's always good to see what others have to say. Might try to track down that pe set for it.

And thanks for the info on the NVST, Mike. I'm working on the DML T-80UD right now, and I can probably make a copy of the mg from that one. It looks okay, at least to me.
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
I also found a build review w/ pics on Squadron's website, if anyone else is interested: http://www.squadron.com/old/t64/t64.htm
 _GOTOTOP