_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Updated "LITE" version of Armorama
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 04:34 PM UTC
With some feedback from various members I have updated the "Dialup" focus/theme to be a more "stripped down" version of the site. This will make it easier for users from various parts of the world without high-speed access to view the site in a more speedy manner.

It is also an attempt to "simplify" the sites interface and forum area. For example:

• The homepage has 70% fewer images to load.
• Forum pages are void of member avatars, sig-lines, and banners.
• The "Lite" version now works with all languages and there is a simple language selector in the upper left corner to switch back and forth.

Further changes will be made as needed (or suggested).

To change to this "Lite - Dialup" version of the site please click the My Account link about and then click "Change Focus". Select "Dialup" and you are done.

Thanks for tuning in.

Jim
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
Wow! That is much much nicer. If I were you I make the "Lite" the default and the normal site I'd turn into a premium site for your A Guard.

Paul.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:59 PM UTC
im a dial up user, and have no problems with the site, it loads up considerably faster than many,

good idea for the users with slow connections jim, but i think ill stick with the default site

cheers

joe
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi Jim

I normally use the Aircraft focus. I've tried to log on two days running using AOL at work. The connection has been so slow, that Armorama's been unbearable.

I've just switched to "Dialup" and the result is spectacular to say the least! Everything is flying! I'm tempted to agree with Paul and suggest this should be the default; it may encourage new members who could be otherwise put off by long page-load times.

It would also answer the point raised in the General Forum about people who don't join Armorama, simply because they don't like all the avatars and sig. lines.

It might be an idea to still show A-Guard badges, to encourage more contributions to the site.

Great work! All the best,

Rowan
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:13 AM UTC
Wahoo!!!!!!!! Home will be faster.....eventhough I'm on @ work most of the time
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
Jim the amount of features you have and continue to offer is STAGGARING.
This is a great feature.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:02 AM UTC
An impressive new feature. Nice to see that the creative juices are still flowing... Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
I use AOL dialup at home and have never had a problem. I've also accessed the site from work via LAN as well as AOL dialup and notice no appreciable difference. I've accessed Armorama through various hotel networks and phone lines, again with no real difference in what I get through home or via LAN.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:10 AM UTC
I found it kinda nice to me. The colors look good and the connection is quite faster (although I'm running on a 256 DSL connection ). Very nice for helping out people with slow connections. However, I would still like to request the "who's online" status on the right side of the homepage. Sort of knowing if a friend is on the site or not.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! That is much much nicer. If I were you I make the "Lite" the default and the normal site I'd turn into a premium site for your A Guard.

Paul.

Ditto what Paul said! I've not experienced performance problems - but switched over to the "Lite Side" and thought that was pretty cool Jim! Just like Paul said - maybe that should become the primary target and this full-blown version be the premium site for A-Guard members...

Gunnie
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:45 AM UTC
I am not an "A Guard" member and would be highly P**ed off if someone said I could not view this default site because I was not a member.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not an "A Guard" member and would be highly P**ed off if someone said I could not view this default site because I was not a member.

I agree with Mr. Roo. While I am not an A Guard member (can't afford it now), I don't think that the current, graphical site should be ripped away from all those users who have been using it since the site redesign. (that was a loooong time ago)

I do agree that maybe the default site should be the 'lite' version.

YM
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
Not to worry. There are other technical reasons I would not do that anyways.

But thanks for all input!

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:04 AM UTC
Ooo....but I could add a bit in the member signup area that basically sets the focus right away based on their interest or their ISP speed. That might be a good idea....

Jim
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
Jim,
This armorama lite version is a god send for me before on the default site i had a lot of lag but now on lite there is no lag at all.
I would have to agree with shonen red it would be nice to have the of you is online it is always good to see if a friend is online.
Thank you very much
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
All I have to say is "Thank you Jim." I don't have any problems with the speed the site loads at home or at work. I am on a cable modem at the house and DSL at work (not that I ever surf Armorama on company time.)
The graphics heavy pages may be a problem for some folks and Jim dealt with those problems, their concerns. If anyone can name one site they have ever visited on-line where the site owner/admin deals with user concerns as fast as Jim does, I'll kiss (well this is a family site.)

I checked out "Lite" and liked the old site with all of the graphics better but Jim's efforts to give everyone options is what got me here to start with. That, along with all of the cyber buddies I have met, is what keeps me here.

Anywho, I think the option is there now for anyone that wants it and I think that is a really good thing.

Shaun
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:26 PM UTC
Just an idea. Instead of not putting any ranks at all, why not put in Armorama ranks? It goes something like this

1-10 Armorama newbie
20-30 Armorama frequent poster
3000+ Armorama addict

etc etc...

It doesn't need to be an image. A text message just above their name should work.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul.

whike that might be good for some of you, that would be horrendous for me,and some other people, why pay to the see the site we love as it is now?That being said, I just tried it as a "demo" as I wanted to see what it looked likes, and it is faster, evn though I've got digital cable
 _GOTOTOP