_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pine Tree Treasures
jinx46
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC

Today I stopped by a pine tree in central Athens, Creece. The wind had bent it when it was younger so that its trunk was almost horizontal. As it is early spring here, it was in bloom—the flowers being clusters of tiny yellow melon-shaped buds that will in time become pine cones. It occurred to me that they can be used to represent melons once painted and placed in a box or basket to go on a tank or any other vehicle or diorama, so I picked up a few. Such melons can also be glued into a row and make a fruit bed…
On further reflection, pine tree bark (suitably cut and shaped) can be used to represent stones and when grated on wet and dry they give a dark red powder to be used as rust stains.
Also, pine needles, now green but brown when dry in summer, can be used to make many things:
a. bayonets –the tips.
b. reeds…
c. African hut walls…
d. Indian headgear feathers…
e. knives…
f. Bedouin awnings or lean-to’s at 45 degrees to the ground (white-glue them touching each other on paper, cut ends that protrude from paper edges, coat all with white glue when dry—green for young bamboo, yellow for summer one.
g. When green, the needles can be bent—make circular rings of flat cross section,for your example, and other stuff…belts and webbing and even rifle slings or any type of sling…

There are more uses I will think of soon. Add whatever else you may think of, please.
Today I also bought turps made of pine tree resin. To use as thinner for enamels and oils—they come in one-litre bottles here and cost 4 euros per bottle. It smells of pine.

Nick
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hmmm...harvesting pine trees! Conservationist groups will soon be banging on your door!
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:39 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, Nick. I wouldn't worry about any tree huggers, since it's not like you're chopping an entire tree up. I usually try to use natural stuff that can be found outdoors. Depending on the season, you can find lots of stuff that will work. I've even gathered plant/tree debris after a day or two of heavy rain from the curb in front of my house. Why buy the stuff when all it costs you is the time spent taking a walk?? And I need the exercise anyway!
jinx46
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:00 PM UTC
There are not many conservationist groups here--2 only and they worry about a turtle and and a bear species.
The only other type of conservationists in Greece are the politicians who want to conserve their parliamentary or minister's seats...plus their money, in banks abroad...

Jack, thanks. I do likewise...
jinx46
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 12:49 AM UTC
Can anyone tell me how to post a photo in my post?
jinx46
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 01:01 AM UTC
Here is one:
 _GOTOTOP