_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Just Opened the AFV M60A1
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 04:49 PM UTC
Well folks I just opened my M60A1 last night and it is by far the best thing since sliced bread. AFV really out did themselves. The kit is right on as far as detail goes. The sprockets have mud holes, you get a mantle cover, both side loading and top loading air cleaners, both steel and aluminum road wheels, an extremely detailed drivers interior, clear lenses for head lights search light and periscopes. The cupola upper is clear so if careful you don't have to paint the vision blocks. The sponson boxes are open with seperate handles so the can be posed open. all the grill doors and handles are seperate so they can be posed open for an engine removal dio. Markings for Austrian, Israeli 1973, 2 US Army MASSTER cammo tanks and the MERDAC cammoed USMC tank that did not exist but that you can make accurate with whats in the kit. The M85 MG has a seperate feed tray cover and the cupola access cover opens so a loading or clearing scene can be created.

The only negatives I can see opening the box are the slightly off cast texture and a short search light cable. the instructions show it stretching between the turret plug and the light. The cable had lots of slack and was very heavy, it draped all over the turret.

This is just a short list but if you like the M60 you will love this kit.

Anyone want some cheap Academy M60s?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 05:49 PM UTC
Tom-- great run down, where did you buy the kid?
thanks
DJ
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 05:53 PM UTC
Looking it over again I also see that the loaders and drivers periscopes are poseable and 2 M85s are included. all hatches have detailed interiors, 2 types of sprockets solid and scaloped. casting numbers are molded on. The instuctions are on magazine quality paper with the cammo schemes in color. Although the color callouts are doubtful. Field green and khaki when it should be forest green and field drab for MERDC.
I also believe more varients are planned. The left fender is in 2 pieces making a dozer version with the external hydraulics easier

Oh and it has a STURDY BOX

Tom

PS the fuel cap has a molded on locking handle you just need to add the chain. And unlike Tamiya only 1 filler cap like the real deal.

I'm still looking it over and the tracks look really nice, good bolt detail on the end connectors and center guides. Very usable for live track with good tension. The mantle cover looks like glueable plastic not rubber. I don't know why but they added the working recoil spring.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 05:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom-- great run down, where did you buy the kid?
thanks
DJ

Luckymodel around $46, plus shipping. I also got the Saladin its OK. Cyber modeler site had a 10% coupon too so I got both plus shipping for $108. Took less then 2 weeks. I'm super happy. The kits in my lap right now.

Tom
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 06:28 PM UTC
Just had to get this picture in Its the 11th ACR motor pool in Fulda Germany as we transitioned from Sheridans to M60A1 RISE passives. You can see the new M60s still in the factory forest green.

Tom
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 06:34 PM UTC
Careful with the road arms- they ALL are numbered 4, but some have notches for the shocks (?) and some do not
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just had to get this picture in Its the 11th ACR motor pool in Fulda Germany as we transitioned from Sheridans to M60A1 RISE passives. You can see the new M60s still in the factory forest green.

Tom

Date? I ask because we did an exercise with part of 11ACR when we first got our Scimitars...that would have been around 73?
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip I haven't opened all the bags yet. They were hydraulic shocks part of PMCS(preventive maintaince checks and services) was checking them for leaks. I do remeber seeing some tanks with friction snubbers, but that may have been later in my career.

Just noticed the tow cable comes black so if its used you don't have to paint white string. the real one came coated in cosmoline and we just left it that way it was to massive to clean off. You always got grimy any time you had to use the cables.

Tom
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tom

Date? I ask because we did an exercise with part of 11ACR when we first got our Scimitars...that would have been around 73?

It was mid 78. All the squadrons got tanks increasing our fire power and readiness. The M551s were worn out. We did join the fun of REFORGER 78 and I remember a passage of lines through a Chieftan Unit.

Tom
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the tip I haven't opened all the bags yet. They were hydraulic shocks part of PMCS(preventive maintaince checks and services) was checking them for leaks. I do remeber seeing some tanks with friction snubbers, but that may have been later in my career.

Just noticed the tow cable comes black so if its used you don't have to paint white string. the real one came coated in cosmoline and we just left it that way it was to massive to clean off. You always got grimy any time you had to use the cables.

Tom

Oh and two mistakes in the instructions that someone else found over on Missing Lynx- the front two bump-stop part numbers are reversed (C91/C92) and also they have you put on some sort of indicator on the filters that wasn't on the side loading ones. Gary Owsley found these.

Sanding the back engine deck smooth is going to take some work. There are bolts, fine weld seams and lift handles that make it hard. Maybe one of the resin companies will make a drop in replacement, which would simplify things.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tom

Oh and two mistakes in the instructions that someone else found over on Missing Lynx- the front two bump-stop part numbers are reversed (C91/C92) and also they have you put on some sort of indicator on the filters that wasn't on the side loading ones. Gary Owsley found these.

Sanding the back engine deck smooth is going to take some work. There are bolts, fine weld seams and lift handles that make it hard. Maybe one of the resin companies will make a drop in replacement, which would simplify things.

I heard about those too, also don't bother reading the history, horrible translation. I would also ignore most of the color call outs. The interior is gloss white not flat and I never heard of "sail color" for the mantle cover they were green vinyl.
I was thinking of Mister Surfacer for the back deck, easier to control then sanding, to tone down the misplaced casting.

Tom
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
One last comment the kit has markings for an Israeli M60A1 in 1973. The kit turret is the later model with the protected turret ring. I have to do some research but I thought the turret edge was extended to cover the turret ring after the 73 war showed it was vunerable. So the kit may not be right for a 73 war tank.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP