_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best Kit for LAV-5 USMC Piranha
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC
Getting the bug for more modern USMC builds and would like to know which Trumpy kit is best for the USMC version of the LAV-25? Not committed to OIF or any time period, so the SLEP is fine if that's a better choice. The ASLAV-25 kit seems too far afield, but maybe is not.

So much of the AM stuff seems to be MIA, especially all the Real Model stowage. The second Legend set (1224) looks like overkill, but has things I would like (see photo referenced above).

Would the Stryker-family wheels by Voyager work (PE A094)?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 11:21 PM UTC
Other than the SLEP, I'm not sure if there are any differences between this one and the Piranha one that came out in 2005, but to be safe I would probably go with the below one.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/trp01513.htm

IF however there is no major differences (other than SLEP) than the Piranha may be better since it is about $10 cheaper

**NOTE**
SLEP I believe also removed any of the amphibious capabilities so you may want to factor that in as well depending on how you plan on modeling it.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi Bill

The LAV-25 in your picture is fitted with "early" (pre-SLEP) Michelin XL tires. Several AM sets are available for them, like the one released by Panzer Art (RE35-221) :

AFAIK, the Stryker wheels won't do the job....

PS : the ASLAV is a different beast

H.P.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 01:35 AM UTC
Go with the SLEP kit, IIR it has the proper sights for that version, but has the wider tires than what the photo shows. The exhaust is different as well, but in the photo you can't tell which one it has. SLEP was phased in, the main thing is the port sight had an armoured cover, then there could be the longer exhaust and wider XML tires. If you want to get more current, there's the uparmoured LAV-A2. Stryker/LAV-III tires are definitely out!
ASLAV is Australia use only.

Jim
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks, guys, that's helpful. Wish someone could say whether the cheaper kit would work, too?
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 02:13 AM UTC
Cheaper kit? You mean the original Trumpeter LAV-25? It's a solid kit, better than the Italeri ones and definitely better than the Esci ones. I forgot the SLEP added the Platt scissors mount for the GPMG too. If you want to build the one like the photo, the SLEP kit with the earlier 'skinny' tires would be the way to go. Some info HERE on what's out there (and possibly to confuse you more!)

Jim
accelr8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 156 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 03:11 AM UTC
if you do an early LAV-25 (trumpeter), just a word of advice- you might be better off using the kit vinyl tires. I bought three (three!!) sets of tires, from Armorscale, Panzer Art, and ET Model. I had to do so because in every set, they only used the wheels from one side as masters, not realizing that the tread pattern is directional and points forward on both sides of the vehicle. As a result, I had tires with tread that pointed the wrong way on one side of the vehicle. None of the vendors were responsive to my messages to them, and i had no choice but to use the vinyl tires and hope that they don't disintegrate or turn into goo 5 years from now.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if you do an early LAV-25 (trumpeter), just a word of advice- you might be better off using the kit vinyl tires. I bought three (three!!) sets of tires, from Armorscale, Panzer Art, and ET Model. I had to do so vehicle. As a result, I had tires with tread that pointed the wrong way on one side of the vehicle. None of the vendors were responsive to my messages to them, and i had no choice but to use the vinyl tires and hope that they don't because in every set, they only used the wheels from one side as masters, not realizing that the tread pattern is directional and points forward on both sides of the disintegrate or turn into goo 5 years from now.

I purchased a set of the ET Model ER35-018 Weighted Narrow LAV Wheels in January 2015. The proper four directional tires for the left and right sides are included in the set. Great details and super easy cleanup along the flat weighted bottom.

Maybe you got bum batches of the wheels? The images on the Panzer Art and Armorscale site show proper directional tires on their LAVs...by the way the LAV build/wheel images on both the Panzer Art and Armorscale sites are identical.

jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 07:58 AM UTC
Find photo of the LAV you want to do, and let us advise as to what would be needed kit wise and after market wise.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks, guys, let me look around and see if I can trade some of my German armor for an LAV-25 SLEP.
 _GOTOTOP