Hosted by Darren Baker
Advice Needed - Where to go now......
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
Need some advice.... Where the hell to go now! I did this (very) simple 1/35th scale building facade. Built with styrene sheet and a cork covering. The two cut out sections at the bottom I envisage as having a brick section. Now originally, I was toying with the idea of a Normandy-style half-timbered structure but I don't know. I'm having a minor crisis as to which direction to take regarding the NEXT steps a facade or full-building cutting sections of the facade out and putting in brick sections.... So advice please!!!! Thanks!

This is the reverse side - I added wooden strips to give more solidity to the structure.....
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 08:57 PM UTC
What I would do is first decide were you want this building to be? Then,I would Google pics from that area of the world. Sometimes I get as specific as using Google earth to go down and "fly" my mouse over the area at ground level to pick up the ambiance of the area.
Of course,you have to look for the older buildings that were around back then.
J
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:01 PM UTC
I'm thinking Belgium or Holland....
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm thinking Belgium or Holland....

Mmhh Jim, that's a challenge..

Facade street in Belgium/Holland with more focus and attention on what will happen on the street

or

Full-building cutting sections if want to show off what's going on inside the building ( workshop, store, sniper hideout, etc...)

Any way you choose so far is looking very nice !!

Some 1940's pics:

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:26 PM UTC
How did you glue the cork sheet to the styrene - CA?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you glue the cork sheet to the styrene - CA?

Wood glue.

Just a comment which others may find useful. As I can't find a good (local) source for cheap styrene sheet, I found enormous sheets of plastic (A1 size or bigger) which are used by students of the Faculty of Architecture in a nearby university. It DOES require a little bit more work gluing it together but it avoids any of the problems associated with warping of card. It's also incredibly cheap - a sheet costs around 3 Euros. To fix other sheets at angles I use generous amounts of 5 minute epoxy which sets rock-hard....
 _GOTOTOP