_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stug IV Mid - Per Buyer Specifications
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:59 PM UTC
Undaunted by my recent fiasco, involving clear coat stripping model, I have forged ahead. The Griffon schurzen was a nightmare. Two of the brackets were just wrong. I determined that they were upside down and fixed the right side. But, it was too late for the left. So, damage. Next will be the gloss coat. I'm debating whether to use Future or Testors Clear Gloss lacquer. I will be including a figure, to fill the open hatch. Total build time: 80 hours. Hoping to have this one finished, by the end of the week. On with the photos.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 05:12 AM UTC
Stowage placed. Obviously not painted. I'm debating putting a tarp over it. I am planning on putting a small tarp over the gun mantlet. I just don't like how it turned out. Not sure if I will get to the pigments, tonight. I think Griffon messed up on the schurzen. The rear most brackets are upside down and etched wrong to line up with the rail. Most frustrating. That is the reason for the damaged rail, on the left. I think the right is correct(as much as it can be). Took five hours.

Almost forgot. I will be adding some bailing wire to help hold the damaged rail together.
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 05:37 AM UTC
I personally use future on every thing.. I prefer it over the testors gloss since it protects the base coat so much better. In the end it is personal choice but that's my 2 cents.
The build looks nice, the damaged area is fitting as the whole set up the germans used was prone to this sort of thing. I might suggest some post shading to give the base coat some more life. Of course you can take care of that with some select filters and washes.
Will look forward to the finished kit.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thank you for the suggestions. There is more color modulation, in real life. This will be more apparent, when I use my photo studio. Testors does not have the habit of hazing and sprays better. With Future, I had to hand brush at least six cotes. With Testors, four paint sessions. I had a problem with Future building up too much and causing some of the finer details to be less apparent. To each his own.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 03:28 PM UTC
Pretty much done, with the upper hull. I'll try to get the stowage painted, today and tarp made. I'm not sure how much I will be able to finish. Bad weather. Realized I missed a photo of the whole front. Color modulation is quite apparent, there.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:49 PM UTC
The canvas may have to be re-wetted, but I'm down to drybrushing the tracks and adding two small stowage items. Looking for the crew to arrive, tomorrow.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 01:53 AM UTC

Calling this one done. Still waiting for the postman to deliver the crew. Then, off to the collector.

Just realized I forgot the vent covers and wingnuts. I think I will save those for tomorrow.
 _GOTOTOP