_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Color Modulation question
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 08:17 PM UTC
For those of you who utilize color modulation on your build, in which direction do your modulate panels? Do you use lighter colors toward the front and move darker as you go back, or do you use darker tones in the front and lighten it as you go back?

I know that vertical panels are usually lighter as you move up, but I'm curious what you guys do for more horizontal surfaces? Or is it more up to artistic interpretation and taste?

Thanks!
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC
I would advise the new book on Color Modulation from Ammo by Mig, it is a great book, very informative.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/10927
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would advise the new book on Color Modulation from Ammo by Mig, it is a great book, very informative.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/10927

Yeah, even before your review, I wanted that book. Your review just made me want it more. Now, I have to debate with myself, do I get the book or another kit right now.

Best!
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:08 PM UTC
If you are talking about modulation and not zhenital light, or spot light, you should apply the light with only one path: to create contrast between panels, independent of the light direction. So, in some áreas the light will go back, and in others to the front, and same in horizontal áreas.

The main reason of the modulation is to create contrast to make a model more nice and provide it more artificial volume. If you want a more realistic light, like the spot one, then you must base all your work acording a light fountain or origen.

I hope it can clarify a bit.

Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are talking about modulation and not zhenital light, or spot light, you should apply the light with only one path: to create contrast between panels, independent of the light direction. So, in some áreas the light will go back, and in others to the front, and same in horizontal áreas.

The main reason of the modulation is to create contrast to make a model more nice and provide it more artificial volume. If you want a more realistic light, like the spot one, then you must base all your work acording a light fountain or origen.

I hope it can clarify a bit.

Thank you for your response. That makes more sense (and I am going to be buying the book soon).

One of the reason's that I asked is that I'm trying to apply the modulation to a sci-fi model, which you don't see that much. But because it's not a tank, I'm learning and practicing on how to apply it without it looking too forced. Still, I love the modulation style...and it's a lot of fun to do.
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
Ahh, Sci Fi!!
Modulation can match perfect in such kind of subjects, but please, don't be shy exagerating, because the incoming weathering effects, washes, fading or dust will hide and cover a lot of modulation effects. This is the first mistake many modellers made when for frist time use Modulation, thinking that an excessive exgareation can ruin their models. BUt the fact is that the weathering made on it will make it soft and smooth. I recomend you to try one example in a small plastic part, using same colors that you will use in your final model, and see what happen as son as you apply the weathering.

Good luck and show us your progress please!
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:28 AM UTC
Thanks again Mig.

Here's what I accomplished a few days ago. Most of it was airbrushed with Life Color paints, but I did paintbrush the small raised panels with Vallejo paints. It certainly looks better than it would with just a single shade of grey basecoat.

Enjoy!!
 _GOTOTOP