_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Trying out a new primer.
KyrasMoonhunter
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 - 03:24 AM UTC
So, I am trying out some Kyrlon Red Oxide Paint and primer with rust protection and all that jazz. So far, it adheres to my model good and is currently drying. I wanted to know if anyone else has used this for primer? I like the cheap availability of spray paint, and I use Krylon exclusively, and I decided to try this over the Flat Grey from Rust-O-leum.
Other than that, is there any brands that people prefer more? Or do many of you go with the primers from specific modelling paint brands?
pbudzik
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 - 08:35 PM UTC
I use this one

It sticks well enough, but it isn't lacquer which I prefer. NAPA auto puts a lacquer red oxide in a spray can, but I don't have a still image of it. You can see it at the 31sec mark on my primer video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-v7-Wp6no

Paul
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 - 09:05 PM UTC

Nice, smooth cote. I can't find anything that will strip it. I am also very partial to Valspar. It is a little more expensive, but a great value, when compared to the bottled stuff. It is also engineered for plastics.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:13 AM UTC
Plastikote T235 Sandable primer. To me it is comparable to Tamiya's gray just a lot less expensive.

I have recently begun using Rustoleum's "Camouflage" line of spray enamels as primer. Their "Khaki" is a good solid medium tan color great for desert vehicles.

_GOTOTOP