_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
current production of armored vehicles
mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 02:15 AM UTC
What, if any wheeled armored vehicles are currently in production in the us?
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC
Don't think any are currently in production. Thought they were done with the Stryker a while ago, maybe just doing some refurb / upgrade work?

griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 03:30 AM UTC
Not sure of the US, but the current LAV vehicles are being produced in Canada. YAY Canada!!!!
www.gdlscanada.com
Not sure if this includes any newer LAV's for the Marine Corps, or if the bodies for the Stryker are also made here.
I didn't delve into the website too deeply.Someone who is more up on the US armour can shed some light.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 03:31 AM UTC
Are all of the MRAP's and MATV's also produced, in Canada? I think I read this somewhere.
mikeo
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 04:19 AM UTC
I was driving past a JLG plant in Bedford pa today and saw row of maybe 20+ vehicles. They were around the size of a Matv, bur instead of being configured like a crew cab pickup, these were like an suv (profile like a rg31, but with two passenger doors per side.)
I'm trying to figure out what they were.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 04:27 AM UTC
Joint Light Tactical Vehicle?
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure of the US, but the current LAV vehicles are being produced in Canada. YAY Canada!!!!
www.gdlscanada.com
Not sure if this includes any newer LAV's for the Marine Corps, or if the bodies for the Stryker are also made here.
I didn't delve into the website too deeply.Someone who is more up on the US armour can shed some light.

GDLS Canada built the Styrker, LAV III's and LAV 6.0, NZLAV, AZLAV and currently building the Saudia Arabian LAV's. They did build the Ocelot LPPV but I think that was limited. Pretty sure they also built a good chunk of RG-31's. Not sure about other MRAPS
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 05:04 AM UTC
The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle isn't in production yet as the prototypes are still undergoing trials. There should be a decision as to the winner late this year.

The Marine Personnel Carrier (MPC) 8X8 is also undergoing evaluations and is not in production.

I think the only wheeled armored vehicle in production are the FMTV and HEMETT with armored cabs. I don't know if M-ATVs, M1117 Guardian ASVs, MTVR, M1151, and MRAPs are produced anymore what with the end of OEF and OIF.

Here's one place...

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/region/north-america

Some of the info in Army-technology is dated, and they also list cancelled projects and prototype projects, so don't believe everything you read there.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle isn't in production yet as the prototypes are still undergoing trials. There should be a decision as to the winner late this year.

The Marine Personnel Carrier (MPC) 8X8 is also undergoing evaluations and is not in production.

I think the only wheeled armored vehicle in production are the FMTV and HEMETT with armored cabs. I don't know if M-ATVs, M1117 Guardian ASVs, MTVR, M1151, and MRAPs are produced anymore what with the end of OEF and OIF.

Canada is still producing its version of the M1117 Guardian the TAPV.
mikeo
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 06:26 AM UTC
I think they must have been Lenco Bearcat G3s.

Wish I could have gotten a better look.
 _GOTOTOP