_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Training Cromwell
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 07:11 AM UTC
Long ago I had wanted to build a training Centaur tank using Tamiya's kit, but the trouble was that it would have been a nightmare to make it properly using aftermarket PE fenders, so I have up on that idea.

But I do have Tamiya's Cromwell tank kit, which doesn't have that problem. I assume at least some Cromwell tanks were used for training, and some were painted in the SCC 2 brown color. I also assume that only older tanks had perforated roadwheels, but I don't know when they went from that to solid.

I was hoping to do a training in Britain scene using said kit, and the exact time and place isn't critical. I plan to make things easy and use the 75mm gun.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 06:38 AM UTC
Since the Cromwell was first used in combat June 44, I would think any use before that in the UK could be classed as training . Centaurs re engined with the Rolls - Royce Meteor engine were renamed Cromwells , so you do get both 6 pdr and 75 mm gunned Cromwells with perforated wheels
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since the Cromwell was first used in combat June 44, I would think any use before that in the UK could be classed as training . Centaurs re engined with the Rolls - Royce Meteor engine were renamed Cromwells , so you do get both 6 pdr and 75 mm gunned Cromwells with perforated wheels

Thanks! Ironically enough though, the Osprey book on the series, despite all the wealth of information it included, failed to mention when perforated wheels were replaced by solid ones. Of course the Tamiya Cromwell only has the solid versions.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 02:22 AM UTC
IIRC the Tamiya Centaur has all the bits including the fenders and 75mm gun / mantle in the kit to make a Cromwell ( with holey wheels) . I built mine as a command Centaur with dummy gun and used the Howitzer on another Cromwell . No idea when the switch was made to solid wheels , but Crusader had the perforated ones so its an older design ( helps cool the wheels maybe ? ) I'm guessing but I think the savings in rubber were probably off set by the time to make them so they went back to solid , anyone else have any idea ?
 _GOTOTOP