_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best airbrush for the money
Pantherfan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hello all, let me begin by saying this is my first post and ive been lurking here for quite a while now. I have recently got into doing tank models and I have built a couple now, but i haven't painted them yet. so I want to do just some basic camo options on them and i was wondering what the best airbrushes are for the money(i know there are a lot of options im sure). also there are some from amazon that comes with the airbrush and compressor all together with the brand name master airbrush. are these just really cheap options that are not good? any input is appreciated thank you!
Erik
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:40 AM UTC
There is no best airbrush for the money.Everyone will give a diffrent answer as to what suits them.You need to research reviews and write ups and try to see what suits you.

Try this one,he is pretty simple and informative

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:45 AM UTC
If you are looking to save some money on an airbrush, I bought an Iwata Neo for less then $70 CDN. While it does carry the Iwata name, it is make in Asia with less quality parts, but it does a great job. It is my primary airbrush and I use my Iwata Eclipse when I need greater control.

I have heard of some quality issues with the Neo, but I have never had an issue with mine other then having to replace the nozzle once. It has done my well, and it is going on 3 years.

For a budget price, I would highly recommend the Iwata Neo.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:06 AM UTC
As said above; No one brand or model is categorically "the best"...

But an airbrush IS a tool, and buying a better one will reward you. To find the better ones, read some threads and "listen" to what folks say, read reviews, learn where the issues are (even "the best" have some issue... but these are not deal-breakers, just stuff to be aware of), and where each shines and not. There are better brands and better models within brands.

Same for compressors. Lots of types, some better than others, none perfect.

Your choice should consider what your expectations are - do you envision actually reliably doing lines 1/16 or less of an inch wide? Do you want to endure higher or lower maintenance (higher precision means also taking better care of stuff, or it will, like any dirty gun, spite you when you least want that!), what your likely uses and types of paints will be (some - this emerges in discussions and threads - do well with some paints, not so with others, etc. Some will be good for laying nice even base-coats, but may not handle small blotches well or consistently, etc.). Consider available replacement needles and tips, etc. And last but not least, reconcile your needs and wants and quality with your budget.

Face it - unless you stumble across a lucky deal, you'll likely spend more for better.

My counsel; avoid cheap junk. It WILL probably shoot out paint, and may even please you as a newbie, but you'll get tired of it!

Bob
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hello Erik

In airbrushes you get what you pay for, but there are a few good options out there that won't break the bank.

1st off those master Airbrushes, I have 2 of them, they are basicly mid to good quality Chinese knock offs of mostly Iwata airbrushes, the ones I have use rubber o rings in them to seat the tips and this is a trouble area esp if they wear or get seated wrong, so I really can't recommend them.

The Iwata Neo is the same as it also uses a rubber o ring. It is not a bad airbrush but I don't think its all that great. If you really want one of these and have a Hobby Lobby in your area you can use the weekly coupon and get one 40% off and get one for about $40 or so.

Now I really like Badger Airbrushes, I have around 11 of them. The Badger 105 Patriot is a great starter airbrush. good for your base coats and basic camo. Easy to use and maintain and made in the USA. Around $110 on Amazon.

As for Compressors, My first compressor was a "hobby" compressor which ran me over $200. I replaced it about 3 years ago with a Harbor Freight Tools airbrush compressor that I got on sale for around $45 and even though it is a Chinese knock off, it works great. so that is a place to get a good low cost compressor. but stay away from the Harbor Freight Airbrushes it is impossible to get a good paint finish with them.

Also I know there are those that swear by them but I almost gave up airbrushes because I started out with Testors Azteks.. To me they are not worth the hassle or trouble to figure out..

Delbert

btw Don's Airbrush tips is a great website for airbrush info.

Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:05 AM UTC
Iwata and Badger are the two top dogs in the airbrush market. Both are of the highest quality and offer excellent customer service. Both companies offer models from several upwards of 500 dollars to the budget minded. The Iwata revolution airbrushes are a great entry level brush at a reasonable price. There or other manufacturers out there of course.
Pantherfan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys, I will do some research and with the stuff you all said it gives me some guide lines to go of off. It kind of sounds like i thought you get what you pay for so i just go to figure out what will work best for me. I appreciate the input thank you.
Erik
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info guys, I will do some research and with the stuff you all said it gives me some guide lines to go of off. It kind of sounds like i thought you get what you pay for so i just go to figure out what will work best for me. I appreciate the input thank you.
Erik

I may be a little bit late in joining this thread, but here goes: If you're just starting out with airbrushes, may I suggest that you begin with a SINGLE-ACTION Airbrush to start with? They're simple to use, and once you get enough experience, you may not even WANT to upgrade to the more expensive DUAL-ACTION Airbrushes... I use multiple airbrushes in my work, all of them Single-Actions...

Personally, I like the PAASCHE H-1 Single-Actions, with Fine Tips, and the BADGER 200 Single-Actions, with Fine Needles, and for my "touch-up" work, I use a Badger 200G GRAVITY-FEED, with Integral Paint Receptacle, and using an ULTRA-FINE Needle within.

I've been using these particular airbrushes since I was 17, and I'm 62 now, so that should give you some idea of how satisfied I am with them. They are easy to use, easy to break down for cleaning, durable, and easy to get replacement parts for. I couldn't ask for better spraying equipment.

Just keep in mind that "sophisticated doesn't mean better"... Of course, your choices are all yours...

GOOD LUCK!!!
pbudzik
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:26 AM UTC
IMHO, this would be my first choice for general purpose airbrush. It's simple, easy to to clean, and I think for the quality, reasonably priced...

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/eclipse/hp-cs/

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ECL4500

Paul
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:00 PM UTC
Well it really depends on just how much 'the money' is, doesn't it?

Don't get a single action, you'll just end up buying a double action anyway.

Iwata's are excellent, but better still are Harder and Steenbeck.

I started airbrushing with a Badger 150, then after about 15 years got an Iwata HP-C plus. Have never used the Badger since.

I then picked up a second hand HP-C.

Last year on a trip to the US I bought a Harder and Steenbeck Silverline 2 in 1. It's not way better than the Iwata, but it certainly has some features that set it ahead, particularly the nozzle design.

Chicago airbrush supply are an excellent online dealer if you are looking for somewhere to purchase from.

Don't take short cuts with your air supply either. Having a good steady clean supply of air is very important. You have enough variables to try and master when learning to airbrush without having a poor quality air supply.
denstore
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:24 PM UTC
I agree with Mr Budzik. Best airbrush for the money, for a beginning airbrusher, is probably the Eclipse CS. It's a great airbrush in many ways. Great quality, not too fiddly parts, can handle most paints and mixes, easy to understand, silk smooth trigger, and can do both larger surfaces and details with practice.

There are alternatives, but few that would be as versatile in the same price range. The ones I can think of would be the H&S Evolution, the Grex XG, or the more budget friendly Iwata HP-CR Revolution.
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As said above; No one brand or model is categorically "the best"...

But an airbrush IS a tool, and buying a better one will reward you. To find the better ones, read some threads and "listen" to what folks say, read reviews, learn where the issues are (even "the best" have some issue... but these are not deal-breakers, just stuff to be aware of), and where each shines and not. There are better brands and better models within brands.

Same for compressors. Lots of types, some better than others, none perfect.

Your choice should consider what your expectations are - do you envision actually reliably doing lines 1/16 or less of an inch wide? Do you want to endure higher or lower maintenance (higher precision means also taking better care of stuff, or it will, like any dirty gun, spite you when you least want that!), what your likely uses and types of paints will be (some - this emerges in discussions and threads - do well with some paints, not so with others, etc. Some will be good for laying nice even base-coats, but may not handle small blotches well or consistently, etc.). Consider available replacement needles and tips, etc. And last but not least, reconcile your needs and wants and quality with your budget.

Face it - unless you stumble across a lucky deal, you'll likely spend more for better.

My counsel; avoid cheap junk. It WILL probably shoot out paint, and may even please you as a newbie, but you'll get tired of it!

Bob

Why is there no "Like" bottom when you need one
Da...... good answer Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:30 PM UTC
I would recommend going with the cheapest gravity fed, double action brush you can find. You can practice with it until you know what type of spray pattern you want. There are a couple of issues with syphon fed brushes. Sometimes the paint cup or jar will fall out. Also, with a cup you have to be mindful to not spill it. The double action allows more control over the single option.
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 02:51 PM UTC
I have the Badger 360 - It allows you to use it as a cup and a siphon fed bottle. The cup is a bit small but it's easy to maintain and does everything I need it to do.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Badger 360 - It allows you to use it as a cup and a siphon fed bottle. The cup is a bit small but it's easy to maintain and does everything I need it to do.

Badger 155 Anthem siphon feed

Badger 360 Universal both siphon feed and gravity feed with small cup

Badger 105 Patriot Gravity feed with 1/3 oz sized cup.

The 360 is a good basic airbrush, It was the 2nd badger I bought, and I found myself using it almost always as a gravity feed which is why I upgraded.

Delbert

All good airbrushes and all pretty much the same design except for their feed types. The 105 came about due to people wanting a 360 style with a larger gravity feed cup.

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home
Kstrassner
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:06 PM UTC
I purchased the Badger sotar as my first airbrush and real like it, it is easy to use and care for, amazon has it for less than $100 http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO

Keith
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:20 PM UTC
I have looked at the Badger's in the past, but my only issue is the cup size on the gravity feeds are so small. How do you get around working on larger subjects with such a small paint cup?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

IMHO, this would be my first choice for general purpose airbrush. It's simple, easy to to clean, and I think for the quality, reasonably priced...

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/eclipse/hp-cs/

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ECL4500

Paul

I also agree with Paul! The Iwata HP-CS is the Best investment i ever made towards modeling. It Will do everything you want and more and you will LOVE IT! You'll also be glad to have that large color cup with the lid....believe me!

Gary
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well it really depends on just how much 'the money' is, doesn't it?

Don't get a single action, you'll just end up buying a double action anyway.

Iwata's are excellent, but better still are Harder and Steenbeck.

I started airbrushing with a Badger 150, then after about 15 years got an Iwata HP-C plus. Have never used the Badger since.

I then picked up a second hand HP-C.

Last year on a trip to the US I bought a Harder and Steenbeck Silverline 2 in 1. It's not way better than the Iwata, but it certainly has some features that set it ahead, particularly the nozzle design.

Chicago airbrush supply are an excellent online dealer if you are looking for somewhere to purchase from.

Don't take short cuts with your air supply either. Having a good steady clean supply of air is very important. You have enough variables to try and master when learning to airbrush without having a poor quality air supply.

OH! I've PERSONALLY TRIED a DUAL ACTION Airbrush (An IWATA "ANTHEM") for a few months, and found that I can get just as fancy and achieve the same special effects with my SINGLE-ACTIONS, as ANYONE who swears by dual-actions may get, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Not that I think DUAL-ACTIONS are junk; They're NOT! But for simplicity's sake, I PREFER MY SINGLE-ACTIONS. YES, I can achieve the must subtle effects with my single-actions, especially with those diffused, dappled camouflage patterns seen on German WWII aircraft. Not difficult at all for me to achieve, very successfully, on my 1/48 German Bf.109s, Fw.190s and some of my Ju.88s and He.219s, EVERY... SINGLE... TIME... My singles are a great help to me with some of my 1/35 German WWII dappled color schemes, and I can achieve REALLY GREAT special effects as well. I love using my singles for some of the most painstaking detail work, as well as the simple stuff- primers, base-coats, pre-shading and post-shading, dust and streaking effects, you name it! They also save me from having to do a lot of those silly overall washes, which can be SOOO MESSY at times...

With judicious and experienced use of my single-actions and weathering powders, followed up with a sealer coat at the end, I've really mastered my techniques to my own personal satisfaction... And I'm pretty G**D***ED fussy about how my stuff ends up looking...

I'm NOT going to get into a P***ING CONTEST over whether a dual-action airbrush is BETTER than a single. I LIKE what I use on MY models- I merely brought up the point of your POSSIBLE preference for the single-actions because you MIGHT come up with the same conclusions that I did in my own experience. And what's wrong with that?

The "assumption" that you shouldn't bother with a single-action because "you'll just end up buying a dual-action anyway" is not only unfair, but presumptuous as well... The single-actions ARE a bit easier to use, especially for someone who is just beginning. It's like buying your first car; why buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini when you haven't got the experience to master them yet? You buy something cheaper, first. You can always SELL that single-action to someone that is also just starting out, later on...

I wound up selling my "ANTHEM" to a buddy of mine who absolutely HAD to have a DUAL-ACTION- He's going to hate me for saying this, but I don't see any noticeable difference in his spraying efforts... He knows, we banter back-and-forth like this endlessly!

ANYWAY, I wholeheartedly AGREE that you shouldn't take ANY SHORT-CUTS as far as your air supply goes:

Buy an air compressor that includes an Adjustable Pressure Gauge with a Moisture Trap, and you may also want to install another moisture trap or two in your air line(s)- My air compressors have adjustable air gauges with integral moisture traps, and my air lines have a moisture trap at mid-point, and another about 12-inches away from the air coupling in the airbrush itself. Overkill? Maybe. But I NEVER have any problems with ANY of my airbrushes spitting water into my paint-pattern, which would P** ME OFF MIGHTILY!

Once again, the decision of what you wind up buying, of course, is YOUR choice. ABSOLUTELY the EASIEST airbrush to use is the single-action PAASCHE H-1- No thin needles to damage or bend, parts are readily available AND INEXPENSIVE, and the H-1 even FEELS GOOD in your hand. The only thing that is supposedly "simpler" is BADGER's "BEGINNER's AIRBRUSH", which I really couldn't endorse, even for a "beginner". The H-1 is ACTUALLY easier to use and clean than the BADGER "Beginner's" model.

However, BADGER's Model 200 Single-Action, is IMHO, A SUPERIOR PRODUCT to their DUAL-ACTION 150, which I think, is a little bit on the junky side, so I can't blame former 150-users for switching to a better Dual-Action...

This thread may be a little bit hard to digest for you, but there is sound advice from everyone who involved themselves in this discussion. Hopefully, you'll make the best decisions in buying your first airbrush and air compressor...

Good Luck, and HAPPY MODELLING!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:16 PM UTC
I have Badgers (since 1977), Paasches (since 1993), a Grex, an Iwata and a Harder Steenbeck, and an Aztec. Since acquiring the Aztec I have rarely used any of the others. Aztec is so easy to use and allows me to finely freehand down to HO - 1/87.

You can use gravity cups or bottles.

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:35 PM UTC
Start with an Iwata Revolution CR and a $39 pancake compressor from Harbor Freight. You'll be in the big boy league for $130 and have an airbrush for life.
Don't buy the cheap knock-off crap,it will perform like crap, you'll think it's you, and you'll quit in frustration.
You'll buy more airbrushes and the compressor will improve when your income does. I can't make it any simpler than that.
I've been airbrushing for 36 years and this is my forum, so take what you will from my advice.
pbudzik
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:46 PM UTC
Which airbrush you prefer is certainly debatable, but one thing isn't, and that is that the Paasche H can compete in finish to any "reasonable" quality "internal mix" airbrush. (And I used a Paasche F and H for years when I didn't know better) An "internal" mix airbrush simply atomizes the paint much better. Look at the examples on this video at the 6:48 time and forward ... it's pretty obvious. Now the finish surface quality may not be that important to some, but then again, everything we create is subjective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2_YEoGunu0

Paul
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Start with an Iwata Revolution CR and a $39 pancake compressor from Harbor Freight. You'll be in the big boy league for $130 and have an airbrush for life.
Don't buy the cheap knock-off crap,it will perform like crap, you'll think it's you, and you'll quit in frustration.
You'll buy more airbrushes and the compressor will improve when your income does. I can't make it any simpler than that.
I've been airbrushing for 36 years and this is my forum, so take what you will from my advice.

I'd recommend you take his advice...he is usually right when it comes to this subject area
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:02 AM UTC
Erik,

Lots of good advice and links above. There are also several reviews and even some comparisons here at KitMaker: http://kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showreviews&secid=15
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 01:05 AM UTC
OK! As others are lobbying for their preferred products, I'll toss in my 2c:

I started with an old and cheap-even-then Paasche siphon-feed single-action AB with a gas-bottle 48 years ago. Still have it (now with a compressor hose fitting) and even occasionally trot it out for a primer spin.

8 years ago, I decided to step up my AB game and bought an Iwata HP-CS. Super great brushes, easy to clean and fix, easy to repair when I break something. And yes, the lid for that gravity cup may be a good thing... I have those parts, too! Just never had to use them! Fit a paint-flow limiter tail onto that HP and you gain a lot of insurance against slipping into "too much paint" territory as you work. I love the Iwata, and bought a second one to have a second different needle size ready to use.

I'm now older, and the hands maybe stiffer... Recently bought a GREX XG 5 plus the conversion kit to make it a 3 - that is, a 0.5mm needle and a 0.3mm needle kit. 3 different easy-exchanged gravity cups (yeah, lids, too). It will work from 1 or 2 fat drops up to several cc. Super easy to use and easy to clean and way easy for those stiffer older hands!

The Iwata and GREX AB are my working trio. And I can still free-hand HO and 1/72 with all.

Compressor? I'm a tank fan. I have run my AB from a long hose from my Sears shop compressor, I've had one of those small tank "hobby" units, and I now run one of those Harbor Freight "pancake" things - a little noisy, but having a steady supply from a tank trumps almost all! That thing is a bargain!

I have a manifold and multiple hoses and two moisture-traps and regulators to propel the crowd, so have plenty of air and can have 2 or even 3 brushes ready to use in the booth.

Again, lots of brands and models to choose from - skip the junk and think about what you want before you plunk down the hard-earned.

Bob

PS: An AB has more uses than at first one might think... I have a couple of ever-curious and often super-social cats who like to come up onto the bench to maybe see and be seen (and more than once, to take something...). A few drops of distilled water into a waiting AB, and Pffft! It's a great "area-defense weapon"!
 _GOTOTOP