_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Russian army logistics
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi guys,
preparing jerrycans for my BTR-70 (copies of WW 2 German cans AFAIK ) got me thinking that I recall seeing them only on East German BTRs and never on Russian vehicles despite there being provisions for mounting four of them. Can anyone shed any light on this, could it be because of a logistics system that focuses on centralized distribution or lack of much of a functioning system at all?

Thanks,
Sean
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 07:06 PM UTC
Hi, I'm doing the BMP 70 as well at the moment. I have the Russian language technical manual for the 70. I don't read Russian and the pictures of the stowage plans don't show any jerry cans fitted. However, there's a drawing of a tarpaulin being fitted over the top of the vehicle and the jerry cans are shown fitted (in a similar style to German WW2 ones). Not sure what this means but I know from my military experience we very seldom fit anything to the outside of the vehicle as it's then open to theft.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hi Ian,
thanks for responding, do you have the "russian motor books" manual on the BTR-70 ? That's my reference for the jerrycan mounting but have never seen them carried in service.

Sean
 _GOTOTOP