_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Topics: Suggestions and Rules
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:31 PM UTC
I have noted many odd topic names lately and thought I should stress several points.

1. Give some thought to your topic name. This is just a quick example (not meaning to single anyone out as there are plenty more where this one came from). A topic in Dioramas recently titled "Poster". When reading the topic it is specifically about finding Western Front WWII Posters. So...okay I know this seems obvious in hindsight, but wouldn't "WWII Western Front Posters" have been a better name? Remember that the forum is not just about you finding an answer to a question, but someone else someday hopefully finding it too. And if the topic name is smart and concise enough, it will make the searching all that much easier.

2. A reminder about certain RULES. TOPIC NAMES IN ALL CAPS ARE NOT ALLOWED. Why? Well for one it looks like you are yelling about something. People tend to avoid those who are mad. Second it looks bad and is harder to read. Third...well it's a rule and there is no third.

3. Topics should be placed in the proper forum. If you don't understand which forums are for which discussions please refer to the main forum page where there are nice little descriptions. For example (as I just posted today in another topic), the Site Talk forum is NOT for posting about problems or help related issues. That is what the User Support forum is for. If you post in the wrong forum a moderator may move the topic to the correct forum. You however may think the topic has been deleted and never find it again. That would really be a shame now wouldn't it. Remember you can always do a search on all your posts by going to your member profile page.

4. Use the topic sub-groups when possible. These are the there to make it easier for you and others to find topics by groups. Use them.

That is all. Have fun and let's be careful out there. (doh...old Hill Street Blues memory)

Jim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC
I've noticed a bunch of topics that should be moved....guess I'll have to make a list.....(they should be in my Forum)

Jim, Most of the ofenders seem to be in the General Modeling Cat. I'm online all day @ work (and the boss doesn't mind) So If you grant me the powers (in that forum) I'll help out moving topics as needed

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
Apologies,
I've probably broken these rules more than most recently
...down to ignorance and an over-abundance of enthusiasm.
I will engage brain in future.
Cheers
Peter
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
Roger that.

I took care of the "Posters" title right away and I'll be more on top of things from now on.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1. Give some thought to your topic name. This is just a quick example (not meaning to single anyone out as there are plenty more where this one came from)... And if the topic name is smart and concise enough, it will make the searching all that much easier.

I chalk this one up to laziness on the part of the original poster. While I do understand that some users are not as fluent in English as most of us, some people from English speaking nations tend to just get lazy. Vague topic titles have always been my pet peeve.

these people just write sentences with little or no punctuation and capitalization and they tend to run on and on and on and youve got to reread the question several times to see what they are actually trying to say you know what i mean

I tend to just bypass these posts. If it's not important enough for you to clearly state a question, then it's not important enough for me to answer. Again, I am not referring to non-English fluent persons. For example, the new Russian poster who asked a question regarding USMC vehicles. I understand that he is a new user and that English isn't his native tongue.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
Jim I too have noticed this especially in the general modeling forum. If you like I do not mind helping out there either.

(I Know I am a silly Aussie always volenteering but I am a gluton for punishment!...lol) #:-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
Matt and Cliff got their wish... :::poof::: ! ! They are now moderators in General Modeling. May the force be with them.

Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:35 PM UTC
I'm glad Sabot said it before I did. I have the same problem with some posts on the site (and NOT those from non-native English speakers) which have no spacing or punctuation and are frankly impossible to comprehend. Now I don't expect everyone to write in faultless english, but they should be able to communicate in a basic manner which is a pity as a lot of the time they have interesting points to make...... Just a mania on my part, but since I make my living from teaching english, it makes me mad when a native speaker cannot use it.....Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 02:19 AM UTC
Is there any way that moderators could have the ability to edit topic names? Or is there some programming bar that prevents this?

YM
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 02:20 AM UTC
Moderators can.....Use the Administrate Topic Button, it takes you to the topic name & sub cat. (if applicible)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
Jim - if you find manpower is a problem, I'd be glad to go back as a moderator (replacing Ken) in the diorama section, and I also frequent the "Scratchbuilding section", so what the heck.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:14 AM UTC
Dear Webmaster, can I moderate the Filipino forum together with Jeepney? I always visit this site every now and then and I would like to help other people around here. Thanks!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi Mr Staff Jim Sir!
If needed i'm quite happy to help out in some capacity.
Pete
 _GOTOTOP