_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
diorama in progress
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:26 PM UTC
I have posted a few pics of the diorama I am now working on. it is an eastern european road leading past a farm where the germans have an anti tank gun in the barn and a russian t34 or an su85 (I havent decided which to use) is coming up the road. For soviet troops im using the new ones from tamiya. the german troops will be a mix of manufacturers with a few lurking behind the wall and in the loft of the barn as well as manning the at gun. would appreciate any feedback on this. And would anyone have any pics of eastern european barns on the inside of the structure. all comments welcome and the pics are in my gallery. thanks again Kevin
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:47 PM UTC
hey jackhammer, looking pretty good, one objection though, your rocks in the bottom right corner are too fake and thier colours are indirect,

everything else is good

matt
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
The construction is well done. Share your techniques on the wall. The tree is looking good so far too.
One thing that strikes me as 'off' is the height of the stone wall. I understand the goal, hide the crouching figures. To see a stone wall of this construction (stacked field rocks) seems out of place. If it were a 'manufactured' wall with square bricks and mortar I would not hesitate with the height. If you have references then I'll step back and say great wall.
One potential fix is to lower the wall, and make a ditch along the inside of the wall that the guys are walking up to allow the wall to meet the original goal of hiding the figures

bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
Jackhammer, I agree with the comments from Matttomlin and Slodder. My thought for the boulders get some small pieces of bark those can be painted and weathered and sure look like rocks when done. Keep going the idea is great.

Brian
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
The boulders and stone would be much more realistic set into the ground. If you can lift them and spread some plaster or a layer of milliput or something and push them into that, it would be much better. When final ground work is being added, some grasses, long and short will really add to them.
Slodder is right about the wall ... a single line of stones like tke this would not stand. But stone walls can be made really high if properly built. Old walls like these were very wide to get the height. If you added another row the same to the back and filled in little gaps with smaller stones, you would be getting nearer the real thing. Then you would have 2 choices. You could leave it bear stone and add mosst effects/colours in places ... especially lower down, or cover the whole wall in plaster, leaving the bumps of the stone sticking out. It would be white before weathering. Walls like this were common in this time in mainland Europe .. but not too sure about the western front. Some were even seen ridged with a red tile or grey/black slate to stop water seeping in. These walls would also have a pillar.

I love the barn you are making. Will look really well when painted/stained. What sort of roof will you place on this? Tip. Because of the "grand" wall, anything behind it will be pretty grand as well! A nice gate heavily rusted would lok the part also!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
Looks great, but i agree with the rest of the guys in that the bolders could use a little fixing up, cheers good work so far
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:05 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, the rocks in the fore ground and the issue with the wall were what i wasnt feeling quite right about. the scene is an ambush scene and i put the rocks there to hide a german soldier using them for cover but the rock formation just doesnt click for what i want. the figure is in the prone position, any thoughts on this? I think I will make the wall thicker and I believe they sort of tapered a little as they rose,Is this correct?Also I will shorten it a couple levels. As slodder suggested i am thinking of digging a small trench on the backside as well. . The wall is just woodland scenics talus glued then I rubbed plaster between the rocks and before it dried all the way I scrubbed it with a toothbrush. The barns roof will be straw, made with unraveled hemp rope. A tedious task I have been putting off.I had planned a gate next to the barn. Also I am thinking of a farm cart with hay in front of the AT gun with the barrel camoflaged with the hay. in the loft of the barn there will be a machine gun team. Also if any one has any reference pics for the inside of this type of barn i would really appreciate them. And on another note does anyone know a figure manufacturer that makes a set in winter dress for a german antitank gun? Once more thanks to everyone for the input.
Kev

_GOTOTOP