_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Enamel airbrushing concerns
lonewolf117
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hey everyone, forums and enamel newbie here!

I have just switched from watercolor paints for airbrushing my tanks to Testors enamel for a fuller look, etc. I initially "texture" my models with Mr. Surfacer 1000. I have been using Armory's grey primer and am wondering if that, along with the surfacer is safe with the enamel and the included thinner.

The fate of my E-100 rests in your hands wise forum wizards.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi Ben and welcome to Armorama! Mr. Surfacer is a lacquer. Armory grey primer is an enamel. Once it dries it is safe to airbrush other enamels over it. The Mr. Surfacer and Armory won't react since they are two different mediums.
So, once the Armory grey has cured for 3 days, airbrush away with the enamels!
However, I would suggest going with some of the new acrylics like Tamiya, Lifecolor or Ammo. They're not like older acrylics and really have excellent performace, quicker drying time, and are MUCH safer for you! With Ammo you have the advantage of an entire system built together from primer to final pigments.
lonewolf117
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the help! I'm running on a bit of a budget right now, but I'll definitely look into the suppliers you reccomended for future projects.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:32 PM UTC
Ben, be sure to always wear a vapour mask when airbrushing enamels or lacquer thinner.
lonewolf117
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 - 01:39 PM UTC
Yup, have that covered. I bought an airbrushing station to vent out the fumes as well. Thanks for your concern.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:49 PM UTC
I think enamels are fine, and generally seem to yield a more durable surface, but of course that's just my opinion, and I do use many brands of both acrylic and enamels in builds, so...

And you can safely put enamels over acrylics and vice-versa - being sure to allow proper drying between coats.

Most AB handle most enamels quite well, but clean-up is critical after any paint, and enamel (and lacquer) require solvents, which do pose more vapor issues, so may demand more care in your procedure.

Whatever paints you spray, use ventilation and a mask, as folks have said- safety first!

Bob
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 - 05:58 PM UTC
Enamels (Humbrol, ModelMaster, Revell) are normally very good for airbrushing, having very fine pigmentation. However there are some tricks and to-dos. It is critical to stir up the paints perfectly, mix thoroughly with the proper thinner and adjust correct pressure to avoid paint runs. Warming up the paint jar in warm water for a few minutes will improve flow, adding one or two drops of the respective brand clear gloss will cut overspray. An important advantage is slow drying that means no paint clogs on the needle will appear like with acrylics. Disadvantage is the smelly thinner (you definitely need good ventilation and a paint mask is preferable).

If there is no time factor and concern of fumes, enamels are still up to the performance of the better acrylic paints of today.

_GOTOTOP